cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

USB External Drive and the SMBv1 / SMBv2 thing!

So I tried a USB HDD I had and got the error about SMBv1.

Going to the page listed in the error is says

"Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 (RS3), the Server Message Block version 1 (SMBv1) network protocol is no longer installed by default. It was superseded by SMBv2 and later protocols starting in 2007. Microsoft publicly deprecated the SMBv1 protocol in 2014."

Now my hub is a few months old (firmware update 14-Apr-2022) and still comes pre-loaded with a protocol that was superseded over 14 years ago!

I suppose the USB part of the hub may be a sealed pre-made component so it does not get updated along with the firmware but to have enough of these  in the factory warehouse that are pre-installed with SMBv1 to still be making hubs with them does seem rather odd.

Also if that is way out of date, what else is hiding behind that big blue circular light that has been changed, updated, replaced for a more secure version that has not been updated either?

I have searched for a solution and other than enabling SMBv1 there is no other answers.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: USB External Drive and the SMBv1 / SMBv2 thing!

Enabling SMB1 is no big deal, you're not likely to be connecting anything you aren't happy about to a USB port.

Message 3 of 4

If the HDD is not accessible from the Internet it is as secure as the rest of your local network.

In order for it to be infected by any of the SMBv1 vulnerabilities that were identified, another device connected to your home network must be infected first in order to pass it on.

If your antivirus and other security protocols are up to date and you practice safe surfing etc there should be no problem with activating it. 

I have an HDD drive and I had to activate SMBv1 a few years ago and I have no issues at all.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

The problem is half solved, VLC on my Chromecast With Google TV sees the HDD so I can read media easily from it without any issues.

I was more interested in the fact that SMBv1 is 14 years out of date, its not like it is a new thing and it is the latest Windows 11 hot fix that is breaking it, SMBv1 was deprecated from Windows since 2014 but hubs are still being made with that is the only SMB protocol.

0 Ratings