cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

Users on FTTP 900, whats the fastest wifi speeds and what router are you using?

Hi Guys

Im looking for other peoples experience on the same profile as me, 

At the Moment Im using HH2 wand getting around 250Mbps down via wifi on a macbook pro that supports 1300Mbps wifi,

Id like to buy a new wifi 6 router and spend around £250.     Im not gaming I would just like to have the best wifi

download speed down via wifi,   

Ideally is anyone can share there wifi speeds and router they are using to get them,

thanks in advance

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: Users on FTTP 900, whats the fastest wifi speeds and what router are you using?

Hi,

I'm using the Asus RT-AX88U and can get 800-900Mbps on wifi 6 ax band on both my Mac and my iPhone .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 29

Re: Users on FTTP 900, whats the fastest wifi speeds and what router are you using?

@tronagewrote:

At the Moment Im using HH2 wand getting around 250Mbps down via wifi on a macbook pro that supports 1300Mbps wifi,

Does your Macbook even support Wi-Fi6/AX? That 1300mbps figure has me wondering. See here.

To answer your question, I have a pretty busy network and can get around ~350-400mbps in optimal conditions using a 2x2 Wi-Fi5 client and a BT SH2.

I also have an Asus ET12, which will do ~600mbps using a 2x2 Wi-Fi6 client. I can almost max a 900mbps line when the planets align and the hub is operating in 160MHz mode (not all hubs can do this), or I'm sat on top of it using a Wi-Fi6E client and the 6GHz band.

Bear in mind that there's a lot that can contribute to Wi-Fi speeds, not least the capability of the connecting device. Don't go into a new router purchase expecting every device on your network to magically start operating at 900mbps. For some devices, that's very likely to be impossible.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 29

Ended up buy a Netgear Nighthawk RAX200

Setup was easy enough,   link rate looks bang on,  

But speed tests. On Iphone 13 Pro,  Macbook Pro,    Samsung galaxy 23,  all come back at around 350Mbps done

Speeds:

Wifi 350Mbps down  / 100Mbps up

Wired 931Mbps down  / 110Mbps up

anyone any ideas, how to increase,  will probably just send it back  the reason for purchased was ro increase speed over wifi,

My macbook has 

ac@5 GHz

1300 Mbps

mac link speed.pngiphone link speed.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

@tronage 

You are unlikely to get anything like the full speed over wireless, on a single device.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

Here is a quote from old post by @SeanD  on 18/06/2021

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre , take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

Are you next to the router when conducting your speed tests - from the screenshots it looks like the 5GHz network is not at full strength?  You should be getting much higher speeds though this will rely on the router being able to use wide channels - if there is local interference then it may be using 40MHz channels instead which will reduce the speeds.  Try some different channels for 5GHz - you should be able to change the second 5GHz network band to channel 100 for example.  Make sure you are using different SSIDs for all three networks so you know which one you are connected to.

Yeah  im sitting about 3 feet away from router,     

I thought that as well why would it be full strengh

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

In the last. week,

Ive had 4 engineers,   1 Cube,  3x openreach engineers

Wired with there BT laptops. around 450Mbps down wired,   and Wifi around 150-250Mbps down,

(appleTV wired maxes out. 930/110 ) BTHH2 or Netgear) 

Plan was New router to improve wifi,   something is holding it back

Here is a speedtest on the Macbook.  around 3ft from router. 

https://www.speedtest.net/result/14688669306

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 29

Thanks for reply

Ive got 5G-1  and 5G-2

Changed channels on both while on phone to Netgear support,    

5G-1   changed speed results same around 171Mbps 

SG-2. was on channel 100,   as soon as we change to higher channel,   its

no longer visible,  its still broadcasting,    but visible changed back to channel 100

visible again speed results just the same,

Netgear said will escalate to second line support.    they also said it was normal to have only 2 bar signal while a couple

inches from the router.  due to interference

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

The link rates in your screenshots are about what I would expect for 80MHz 5GHz channel width. The link rate will always be a magnitude higher than what can be achieved in terms of throughput though. It gets complicated, but for 80MHz 5GHz operation, you can roughly half it for a ball park esitmate.

Your Macbook does not support Wi-Fi 6 if it's AC only, so you can ignore any benefit that might bring.

0 Ratings