cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Using BT Home Hub 5 as wireless extender

I am trying to change my settings on my old Hub5, something I have done before, but this time I thought I would do it properly after reading articles and watching utube videos and began by performing a reset as recommended.
This was completed successfully and turned off my Wi-fi on my MacBookPro and connected the Hub5 via an Ethernet cable to the MacBook. Opened a browser and typed in 192.168.1.254 and a message came up saying I was not connected to the internet, correct. I then opened another browser and had the same message. For some reason I am not able to connect to the Hub5 manager but I am unable to work out why. Can anybody help ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Using BT Home Hub 5 as wireless extender

Give your MacBook a static IP address of 192.168.1.1

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

First check that the Mac has obtained a 192.168.1.x IP address from the HH5. If you've previously turned off the HH5's DHCP server (as you should for this setup), then maybe the reset hasn't turned it back on.

Having played around with this recently, be aware that the HH5 will be constantly looking for an Internet connection & flashing it's lights like it's Christmas. I don't believe they can be turned off in the HH5.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Tried that but still got the same message
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Not sure how to check that but when the Hub5 is powered up and I turn the Wi-fi back on I can see the Hub5 so I guess it has received the IP address
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

From Google:

To find your IP address on a Mac, go to System Preferences > Network and select your connection in the left sidebar. Then click Advanced > TCP/IP and you will see your computer’s IP address next to IPv4 Address and your router’s IP address next to Router.

Being able to see a WiFi SSID has nothing to do with having an IP address. Or do you mean you can see the web interface? Be aware that both Hubs will have the same 192.168.1.254, which is why the first thing you need to do is change the address of the HH5.

Assuming your reply at 13:43 was to @licquorice's suggestion to set a static IP, I'm curious how you did that if you don't know where to find the IP address?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Got to TCP/IP next to configure IPv4: using DHCP was in the box. Beneath that IP v4 address, subnet mask and Router were not populated. Not what I expected to see, I think I am doing something wrong
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

With regard the static IP I entered that into the browser search, obviously this is not correct
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

That implies that the DHCP server in the HH5 is disabled or the network cable is faulty. I'd try another reset of the HH5 first. If that still doesn't work then change the Mac DHCP to manual & set IP address 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 & router to 192.168.1.254. If you still can't connect try another network cable.

Once you've changed the IP address of the HH5 away from 192.168.1.254 so it doesn't conflict with the main hub, you'll nee to change the router address in the Mac setting to match.

Message 10 of 10

Thanks will work on it and let you know
0 Ratings