cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Using a Wi-Fi Extender on the Smart Hub 2

So we finally managed to get BT Broadband two weeks ago, after the... issues... with our installation date. All working nice and well.

Only issue is the Smart Hub 2 is a bit naff in one of the rooms upstairs, yet in another room, it's fine. Due to this, I am probably going to use a Wi-Fi Extender on the landing. We opted out of the BT Discs, as there wasn't really anywhere suitable to put them. A Wi-Fi Extender plugs neatly into a plug socket out of the way.

My question is how well does the SH2 work with extenders? I only ask due to the joined wireless SSIDs that the SH2 has.. and can't be separated for some nutty reason. Will a Wi-Fi Extender still play nice with using joined SSiDs? I assume you still won't be able to connect specifically to 2.4G or 5G via the extender, and devices will still just connect to whichever has the strongest signal.

I did buy an Asus router a few days ago, but for some reason the signal range is no better than the SH2, which I was quite surprised about. I may use the Asus router with the extender, but I was just curious if the SH2 will play nice with an extender.. or indeed the other way around.

Cheers!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Using a Wi-Fi Extender on the Smart Hub 2

To be honest, I wouldn't entertain a wifi extender they are always a compromise. A WiFi powerline adapter is a much better option. Have a look at the TP Link range. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

Message 3 of 8

@PureChaosX 

Wireless extenders are usually a waste of time and reduce the speed.

A WIFI hotspot device like these listed below, normally solves the problem and would not rely on repeating an existing WIFI signal from the home hub.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

That appears to have been discontinued.

Or https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

Which I think is cheaper.

Message 4 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Or https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

Which I think is cheaper.

But extremely slow and only 2.4Ghz, there are much faster devices available.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

While I'm here, and while you're here as well, another query. BTW, we have 500Mbps download and 73Mbps Upload.

The computer in question with the poor signal strength is my brothers laptop. The distance from his laptop to the router is not that much different from the distance from my PC to the router.

When running a speed test, my PC (on 5G) hits download speeds between 300-350Mbps (although sometimes as low as 180Mbps, just like right now) as it's VERY inconsistent. 

My brothers laptop however (on 5G) get's around 5-9Mbps, yet the upload speed is maxed out at around 70Mbps, with aping of around 8ms. Why on Earth is the download speed THAT bad, yet the upload speed is consistently being maxed out?

I know it's a laptop, so it's WiFi won't be as good as a PC's, but still. that's pretty pathetic, especially when my PC is about the same distance away from the router.

Hence the requirement for an extender. And those ethernet powerline adapters won't work as I need to connect at least 3 devices. It seems thought powerline adapters are not wireless, and can only connect a single device via Ethernet (unless I'm reading it wrong). 

So any additional help with this would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

It sounds like your brother could have a driver issue or maybe a hardware fault. 

Worst case scenario (i.e. if he can't get bottom it out),  he could always purchase a USB Wi-Fi dongle, they're cheap enough

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Powerline adapters are available in several flavours if you looked at the link I posted. Some are just for Ethernet connections but most also provide a WiFi signal as well as 2 Ethernet ports so you can connect as many devices as you like to them.

Message 8 of 8

First thing to do is test the laptop in the same location as the PC. If the laptop performs broadly similar then you know the issue is with the location. If it still performs poorly then you know the issue is with the laptop. Also check the specs of the laptop's wireless card to see what it's actually capable of.