cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Using home hub with power line adaptors

I am using BT home hub discs to extend the Wi-Fi in my home but am still getting poor signal in one room. Can I combine this with a BT power line plug to improve the connection? The disc is in the room so I am not sure I can do anything to improve the signal via the discs alone (I cannot relocate the main router I only have one phone line)? 

thank you

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using home hub with power line adaptors

If you are thinking of using Powerline adaptors why not use wireless powerline adaptors which would give you a wireless signal in the room and that would allow you to relocate the disc to a better location, perhaps in the hallway or allow it to be used elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks I haven’t used them before I didn’t know there were two kinds. I was thinking of the kind that plug into a wall electric outlet. 

The problem I have is that I don’t think anything will extend the signal from the original router to the room. So I am asking whether I can extend the signal from the disc somehow? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

The Wireless Powerline Adaptors also plug into the electrical socket, the "Master" connects to your Smarthub and the "slave" adaptor in the room emits a wireless signal as well as having an Ethernet connection.

If you search Amazon for Wireless Powerline Adaptors you will find various options.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

If the disc is in the room where you have no signal then it sounds like a problem with your devices connecting to that disc.

There's nothing to stop you from using powerline converters but I would be inclined to investigate the disc first, what colour is the disc and what colour is the LED on the front of it

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Something to consider.

I use powerline adapters in my home setup and they work great..

However, they are on the same electrical circuit. Basically, they only work downstairs in my home on the same circuit. If I plug one in upstairs, it struggles to communicate with the other adapters as the signal passes through the RCB board.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Powerline adaptor should work fine even if they are on different rings/circuits as long as the rings/circuits are going through the same Consumer Unit/Fuse box. You may however notice a difference in speed between the rings/circuits.

If your ones do not work it could be the way your RCBO Board has been configured or a problem with your electrical wiring rather than the powerline adaptors. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Thanks everyone for advice with this. The light on the disc is broken, but I will try swapping it with the other disc. I don't think this is the issue, however, as it wasn't working when the light was ok. I think the problem is the distance between the discs. If swapping the discs doesn't work I will try powerline wireless adaptors and see if that can help. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Did you ever sort this? I think a steel RSJ is causing me problems with Wi-Fi in my kitchen. Have 6 discs in the house. One is in the doorway to the kitchen and one near the middle if the kitchen. I get 56mbps in the doorway and 3 in the middle near the RSJ!

I wonder if wireless power lines might help me get past the RSJ?

0 Ratings