cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: VPN Blocked?

Possibly BT Web protect, or BT Parental controls.

You could try using different DNS settings on your computer, as suggested in that thread.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

I've tried manually setting the DNS to use Google's 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 and disabled IPV6 too, but no change. I'll ask the account holder to log into the account and check the BT Web Protect or Parental controls.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Just quickly:
You are connecting directly to the BT HomeHub either via a cable or WiFi, and there is not a secondary router between you and the internet?

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

Yes, in fact I've two windows 11 PCs, one is connected directly to the WiFi from the Hub, and the Laptop I have connected directly by cable to the Hub. The Hub is connected directly to the BT Fibre. Neither will connect to the VPN when using the Hub, both connect to the VPN just fine when using my mobile hotspot.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Have you tried connecting your laptop directly to the ONT so missing out the  BT router - there are instructions for doing that on other threads if you need them?  This would establish whether it is something within the router causing the issue or elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Is this a possibility?

Microsoft confesses April Windows update breaks some VPN connections 

https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/01/microsoft_windows_vpn_problems/?td=rt-4a

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

I checked and that KB5036893 installed on 22/04/2024, however the problem has been present since I first connected to this broadband about 6 weeks before.  I uninstalled the update to try that and no change.

Additionally, the VPN still works perfectly when I use my phone hotspot, so it certainly seems related to either the Hub itself or something within the BT service.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Ok yes, I have just setup connecting my laptop directly to the ONT, so bypassing the BT router altogether. I was able to connect and get online, however the VPN still would not connect, so this seems to indicate it's not the hub causing the issue.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

You haven't said if you checked if web protect is enabled.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Sorry,

I checked. Both Web Protect and Parental Controls are off.