cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

VPN Router for Full Fibre to the house

Go to solution

Hi I have full fibre to the house and was looking at buying a vpn router. Is it possible to use a vpn router

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: VPN Router for Full Fibre to the house

Go to solution

You can use whatever router you like as long as it has a WAN port and supports PPPoE connections.

You won't, however, be able to use Digital Voice service with a third party router.

I'll no doubt get flamed, but I still don't understand this current obsession with VPNs. It's all snake oil as far as I'm concerned.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@licquorice for example, I do use VPN in two ways:

1/  to access context from the country, where I am originally from (TV Shows, Live TV) - a little bit not kosher, I know...

2/ to access the company network from Home (although I am not a typical WFH  person, it's just easier to do so, than other options available, to have a profile set at my TP-Link ER605 VPN Router...

Perhaps, unfortunately, I do not figure out, how (if that is even possible) to configure my router for ad 1/ and SurfShark. I do believe, that's not the functionality of that router...

also, ER605 has a few flaws, when on a BT network, like many other TP-Link equipment, for example with IPV6, which I still keep to handle SH2 instead :), means, as the router has PPPoE does not guarantee, it will be fully compatible, I am afraid..

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Absolutely agree with example 2, that is the purpose of a VPN, to access a corporate intranet from the public internet. However, that is not the reason most people use a VPN.

Example  1 is, as you say, a little non kosher.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Can you recommend any reasonably priced routers? Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I wanted to protect primarily my NAS from ransomware so I don’t forward ports or enable upnp As I still want to access it and my cameras remotely but without changing my router, I installed the vpn server (Wireguard) on a Raspberry Pi. It also means I can keep Digital Voice.