cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Weird problem with Nintendo Switch

Hi there,

I have a very strange problem when connecting my Nintendo Switch to my home wifi. I have a smart hub 2 with no discs. It works pretty much fine throughout the house (e.g. I get 80mpbs in my study upstairs).

However, whenever I connect my Nintendo Switch to the wifi, the speeds on my wife's laptop slow to a crawl. I've tested this and it is definitely the Switch that is causing it - she will be streaming a video, and if I connect the Switch to the wifi, the video will immediately stop and start buffering. She has not been kicked off the wifi - she can still e.g. browse text sites but they load very slowly. As soon as I disconnect the Switch from the network, her speeds go back to normal.

It's not a bandwidth issue (e.g. the Switch downloading updates or similar), because none of the other devices in the house are affected. E.g. speeds on my xbox (wired connection) remain the same, and it seems like speeds on my desktop (connected by wifi) are also the same.

What could be going on here!?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Weird problem with Nintendo Switch

I've just Googled this and it appears to be a Switch issue in that it hogs bandwidth for no reason. Google "Nintendo switch hogging bandwidth" 

Message 3 of 6

I saw the same thing when I was googling around, but I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. As I said, the problem doesn't occur on devices that are wired into the smart-hub, or even other devices than my wife's laptop as far as I can tell.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

It seems to be the Switch hogging bandwidth

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hello, 

did you find a solution to this? 

I’ve the same issue, however I’ve 1000mbps line 

As soon as I turn the switch on everything starts to buffer. Tried speaking to Nintendo who just state no error code so nothing to do with them. 
My son got this for Xmas and feels like everytime he’s playing it causeing war in the home because it’s causing everything to drop 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I had a very similar problem with my PS5 and PC, that were both connected via Wifi.

Whenever the PS5 was on, the wifi of the PC would slow to a crawl. It was not downloading anything at all, just connected to the wifi network, neither was anything else downloading at the time. All my other wifi devices did not experience this slowdown, just the PC.

I never found a solution for it, but it seemed to go away on it's own. It seemed to be some sort of wifi interference that was affecting just the PC while the PS5 was on, and as I said nothing was using the bandwidth at the time either... very strange!

0 Ratings