cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

What are the steps to connect a second BT Smart 2 Hub via ethernet

Go to solution

Hi - I'd like to set up a second BT Smart 2 Hub using a ethernet connection (to widen the overall range), but struggling with the steps on how to do this (beyond connecting the cable).  ie I've read that the DHCP on the second device needs to be disabled but not the steps how to do this.  Appreciate any help!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: What are the steps to connect a second BT Smart 2 Hub via ethernet

Go to solution

As a brief search of the forum would reveal as it has been described countless times, give the second hub an address of 192.168.1.10, disable DHCP on the second hub and connect the 2 hubs together LAN port to LAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I’d connect the SH2 to an isolated laptop with a cable to do this, as the default IP address will clash with the other SH2.

Log in to the management page on 192.168.1.254.  Click Advanced settings then My network followed by IPv4 configuration. Set the address at the top to 192.168.1.10, (as Licquoice says).  Turn the DHCP server off and save.

Plug it back into your network and it should be ready to go.  (I assume you’ve already configured the wireless settings yourself).

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks, I've been struggling with how to connect to the 2nd SH2 to be able to amend  the settings but will try this way

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Just in case you haven’t done the wireless settings yet:

The easiest setup is to use the same SSID and key on both units.

Next, set the channels.  Theoretically, if the units are set to use “Smart” wireless they should work together anyway, but “Smart” can be a bit dumb at times, so these things are often better set manually.

Set the 2.4GHz channel to 1, 6 or 11, rather than smart.

Do the same with the 5GHz settings, channel 36, 40, 44 or 48.

Do the same with the first SH2.  Same SSID and key as the other unit but different channels.  Do not use the same channel or they will be fighting each other.

When your laptop etc. connects it will lock on to the strongest signal and automatically switch channel as needed.

Also just so you’re aware, the purple light will flash on the second SH2.  Nothing you can do about that.  It’s just reporting that it has no direct connection to the internet, but the wireless will work fine.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I was thrown yesterday by the purple light flashing so that is useful to know, will be retrying it all on the weekend & optimistic I can get it working now, much appreciated 

0 Ratings