cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

What wiring to leave for next owner?

OpenReach removed the cable running from the telegraph pole in the street to our house as it's attached to a fascia board and this is being replaced. The wire went into a junction box and came out as a thin white plastic coated wire which has been pinned to the external wall and then goes to a BT master socket in a first floor bedroom.

We are left with the white wire and socket, junction box was taken. We do not use this connection, what would happen if this was reconnected in the future? Should we preserve this external wire and master socket or remove it all and make good, any new connection would use new wires/sockets, and/or be located differently?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: What wiring to leave for next owner?

You do not say what area you are in but if you are in an area with Fibre then it is highly likely that a new install will use Fibre and as such the existing copper cable will not be used. Even if a new line was copper based I would assume it would be treated a a new install and therefore a new cable and master socket provided.  New owners might not want the Master socket where it is now. If the line has just been abandoned by OR which you seem to indicate to has, I would remove it completely.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: What wiring to leave for next owner?

Thanks, we haven't used the line in over 8 years. The BT website says my address would get fibre. So as you suggest this wire and master socket would be redundant for a new customer.

0 Ratings