cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Wi Fi Connection for Mobile phone in garden office

I have a home office at the end of our garden. It is 'hard wired' into the main BT Router in the house so all works well with my laptop etc when I'm out in the office. However, my mobile phone cannot connect to the router as its too far away, so is constantly using data (4g etc). This ends up costing me £'s as I have to top up my data with Vodafone each month.

I have a Vodafone Mobile Wi-fi device which is meant to give me some wi-fi connectivity when out of range, but its useless.

Is there a way of adding an extra router in the garden office that is effectively a 'twin' of the main router that will give me constant wi-fi access on my mobile device?

I've tried BT extender discs but they don't help reach the office.

I'm not very techie so don't know if there are any other options.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wi Fi Connection for Mobile phone in garden office

You just need a Wireless Access Point with built in Ethernet switch. Plug the Ethernet cable from the router into one of the Ethernet ports on the WAP and your PC into a second Ethernet port. This will give you Ethernet and WiFi connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

My laptops/PC work fine already as they are connected via an Ethernet cable when i'm in the garden office, its my mobile phone that cannot reach my wifi/router so it constantly using data.

What i need is something in the garden office like a second router, that provides the wi fi connectivity that i have when in the house and in range of my main BT Router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@Richiet007 

You just need a wireless access point

This one is simple to setup https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801n/

You could have the same SSID, but its best to have a different one, so you know which you are connected to.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@licquoricewas suggesting a WAP with an inbuilt switch as it's not clear if you only have a single ethernet point.

Alternately if you already have an ethernet hub/switch then you could use the one that @Keith_Beddoe linked to by connecting it to your existing switch.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thank you very much for your advice, i have ordered the WAP! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

That device only has a single Ethernet port, unless you buy or already have a separate Ethernet switch you won't be able to connect your PC and the WAP to the single Ethernet lead from your router.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

If you have an old router sitting in a drawer somewhere you could re-purpose that.

0 Ratings