cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Wi-fi network still showing and I no longer have BT!

Go to solution

I switched from BT to Sky in March 2024, and the switchover was easy and all is working ok. I have also returned my BT router as requested and now have a Sky router in place.

I have noticed that my old BT Wi-fi is still appearing in the available networks (with full signal!) on all of my devices, i'm confused as to how this is possible as the BT router is now gone and all of my devices are now connected to my Sky network. My only conclusion is that the network is coming from the external BT point on the outside of my house itself(As I believe BT still own all the external cables etc up to the house, as I have FTTP).

I mainly just want to check that I am not going to be randomly charged at some point by BT for this network still showing. I did get a final bill from BT (and actually money back from that) so I would think it is all closed off hence why I am confused.

Oli_01234_1-1714571275047.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wi-fi network still showing and I no longer have BT!

Go to solution

@Oli_01234 

If you no longer have a BT Hub then it's not from your house or any BT/Openreach connection on the outside of your house but from a neighbour's property where they have BT Broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response, but this seems odd as this is exactly the same SSID that I had with BT (it even still shows in previously connected networks on my devices)

IMG_1434.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Do you have any WiFi discs or hotspot powerline adapters?

Does the network pop back up again if you 'forget' it on your device?

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Do you maybe have a Mini Hub you forget about?

Edit: Looks like their SSIDs contain the product name, ie BT70 or BT 71.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Genius, yes I have powerline adapters and they were still broadcasting the old SSID, I didn’t realise they would as they are plugged into the new router. I didn’t notice as I connect them to my laptop with an Ethernet cable. I wondered why my WiFi signal was so bad upstairs!

Thank you! 

0 Ratings