cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Wi fi security / Hotspot

Go to solution

For security reasons  BT state that they can distinguish between users that are using my hotspot from members  in my own household by IP address. I have seven different phones / computers connected to the internet in my household and each one shows a different IP address. 

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Wi fi security / Hotspot

Go to solution
How would they distinguish who is from outside the household ?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

Users from outside your household will use a totally separate network and IP range. Your internal  network is completely secure from anybody accessing your hub from the BT WiFi hotspot network

Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Along with what has been stated above, anybody using the BTWifi service has to log on with either their BTID or with a code they received when the paid for a BTWifi pass using their credit card.

Also see this link regarding BTWifi.

BT Wi-fi: Common questions about sharing your connection with other people | BT Help

If you are still not happy with the service you can Opt out from it.

How do I opt out of BT Wi-fi? | BT Help

Message 5 of 26

Go to solution
Thank you for the quick response. I thought they were using my box via the hotspot scheme and that it would show as coming from my router. I’m not at all knowledgeable about this subject. As I have several devices connected to the internet via Wi-Fi in my household, and several of these devices change their IP address at each connection, are the devices allocated an IP address from the router ? Does the router have a certain number of IP addresses they can allocate to the devices ?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

BTWIFI has by a totally different IP address to your hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution
Thank you. All seven of my devices are Connected via Wi-Fi and each is showing a different IP address on the Internet.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

@leeb100wrote:
are the devices allocated an IP address from the router ?

Yes

@leeb100wrote:
Does the router have a certain number of IP addresses they can allocate to the devices ?

Yes, around 190 by default.

Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Don't worry about it, your network uses an entirely separate IP range.

All your devices will have separate addresses in the 192.168.1.nnn range. You will not be able to see any devices connected to BT WiFi

Message 10 of 26

Go to solution
Yes. So my connections are 192.168.1.nnn So how does the network operate if there are just 999 numbers available ? I’m probably missing something
0 Ratings