cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

WiFi 6 Modem/Router

Go to solution

Hi! Looking for advice. I have Fibre to the Premises on the BT 500 package, so the speeds in to my existing BT SmartHub 2 are fast. However, the SmartHub 2 is limited to WiFi 5, so the distributed speed to my devices is about 20% of the speed delivered to the hub. 

I understand that I need a WiFi 6 modem/router connected directly to the input from FTTP to take advantage of the delivery speed. Can anybody recommend a good make and model for this? 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: WiFi 6 Modem/Router

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Sorry, just realised you're the same fellow I replied to earlier.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

No problem. I really wanted a recommendation for a suitable WiFi 6 modem/router without having to wait for this mythical SmartHub 3.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

ASUS RT-AX88U, depends on your budget

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Many thanks. I'd identified the Asus AX-82U as a possibility. Is the AX-88U a better proposition? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Whilst bored with waiting for SH3, which might, or not come in near future, I ditched my previous WiFi5 tri-band setup involving SH2 (need Digital Phone, and IPV6 to handle it) and my TP-Link Archer C4000, for a more crazy setup, albeit, not really consumer-focused:

1/ still involving SH2, keep it to handle PPTOe and IPV6 + my Digital Phone

2/ OMADA TP-link devices:

a/ ER605 VPN router

b/ SmartSwitch POE+ TL-SG2008P

c/ EAP615-wall Wifi6 AX1800 2 band AP

d/ EAP655-wall WiFi6 AX3000 3 band AP

(whilst c&d are able to be upgraded in the future easily for WiFi6E devices if desired - TP-Link recently introduced the first of them)

and enjoying now up to 690 Mbps speed on WiFi 5Ghz  and AC (WiFi5) devices and up to 820 Mbps speed on WiFi 5 GHz and AX (Wifi6) devices, which, in fact, it's the almost full capacity of my FF900 connection (and I do have only max 80 Mhz capable devices).

Of course, it's the solution, which will not be easy for anyone, whilst involving some setup (ideally with hardware OC200/OC300 Omada Controller - but not needed, if you have a device (Windows, Linux) that is able to run it).

Omada family of devices has a great option to choose from, but, will be costly and not for everyone, I am afraid,...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Wow! Many thanks, but far too technical for me.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

I've just bought this router, but it seems to require DSL to work. I only have Digital Voice via the SmartHub 2, so DSL is not an option. Do you have DSL for your landline?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

You don't need DSL to work. If you wish to keep Digital Voice, you will need to keep the SH2 otherwise just connect directly to the ONT

0 Ratings