cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Wifi Download speed

I have been away at University for a few months and my home wifi download speed before I left was at about 68 mbps but since I have returned it has dropped to barely 10mbps. The ping/latency is fine. I have tried to fix the issues but I cannot figure out what has happened. The router (a smarthub 2) has been left in the exact same place. These speeds are the same throughout the entire day and night so many devices connected at once does not seem to affect it as the speed is still slow when only few devices are connected at night. In addition, when I download something on one device, it completely cripples the internet speed for everything else and speeds will drop to around 4 mbps and webpages begin to take a very long time to load.

Thankyou to anyone who can help

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wifi Download speed

@tkt02 

To clarify, are you just having a problem with the WiFi speed, or the broadband connection itself. Have you tried a speed test with a device connected by an ethernet cable to the Hub?

Have you tried switching off the power to the Hub for a couple of minutes and then re-powering it?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

The connection itself seems fairly stable. It seems to just randomly cut off at night sometimes but has always done that. I have turned it on and off a few times. I havent been able to do a wired test as the hubs location in my house means its inconvinient to get any device with an ethernet port near it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If you logon to the hub (192.168.1.254) what does it say is the connection speed. I assume that you are on VDSL (FTTC) from the fact you used to get 68Mb/s

If there is a phone on the same line do you hear any crackling when you try a quiet line test (dial 17070)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Yes it is vdsl. Unfortunately there is no phone connected.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Can you post a screenshot of the Hub page that shows the connection details?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Screenshot 2024-06-29 222651.png

 Is this the screen you mean? The lowest possible guaranteed download speed offered by BT in my area is 35mb, so surely something is wrong?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Yes  that shows the Network uptime as only 21mins which unless you have unplugged the line is indicative of a problem and the down link speed as only  11.4 Mb/s up link as 3.7 Mb/s. I would definitely log a problem with BT as it suggests there is a fault somewhere.

0 Ratings