cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Wifi booster , repeater to remote outside gate

Go to solution

Hi , I have just fitted have a ring doorbell on my gatepost about 30 feet away . It just about receives sufficient  wifi when I am not using my computer but  the signal is weak and intermittent . I have a powered garage about 15 feet from it but again 30 feet from the house BT smart hub router . I am not techi  and thoroughly confused about , boosters ,repeaters ,point to point units etc. Is there a simple solution I buy for <£60 that I can plug into my garage socket  that will boost or extend my wifi . The garage is on a different circuit to the garage so it will have to be a wireless connection.  Any advice very much appreciated 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wifi booster , repeater to remote outside gate

Go to solution

If a WiFi solution won't reach the doorbell, it is unlikely to reach the garage at the same distance. When you say the garage is on a different circuit, do you mean a different ring or different consumer unit?  If the former, you should be able to use a powerline WiFi hotspot in the garage.

Have a look here

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your speedy interest .My wi-fi does reach the doorbell about 8 Mbs ( in the house its about 150 Mbs)  but when I put on other users ie computer or Netflix it drops it . I have a ring camera flood light on the garage and that works fine . I think it's a directional thing as the doorbell on on the outside of a congrete post . My thinking is that if I can get some sort of booster  plugged into the garage it will redirect the signal to the doorbell  which is facing the garage but not the house . The garage has its own circuit breaker and fed from the in house supply , hence I am looking for a non power line solution . I  Hope this makes sense 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

If the socket in the garage is fed from the same consumer unit as the hub, a powerline adapter will work, it is only if there is a completely separate consumer unit that problems occur. WiFi repeaters are a very poor option but are available.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-11ac-dual-band-wi-fi-extender-1200-080462-B15P.html

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

You could also consider the black Complete WiFi discs from BT

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/what-is-complete-wi-fi-

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Your right , I plugged the TP link power-line extender I use in the house into the plug socket in the garage and got 45Mbs ! . I will buy the one you suggest . I am very grateful for you help . Thank you 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Remember you can only connect one 'master' to the hub with multiple 'slaves'. You only need to buy an extra 'slave'

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@AndrewFaulk 

As @licquorice  has pointed out. Make a note of the TP Link model that you have, and simply buy an extra single unit which will then pair with the main one connected to the home hub.

Any attempt to connect another one to the home hub end, will cause the home hub to misbehave and possibly keep rebooting.

0 Ratings