cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Wifi on or off

Hi

Just a quick question as im not really up on the technical stuff, at the moment i have my pc and my smart tv using a firestick hard wired into the router, my printer is connected by wifi, sometimes when printing it can pause for a minute or so. Could this be because windows is prioritizing one connection over the other? To test this i turned off wifi on the tv and lost all internet connection even though its hard wired, wifi is now connected as well and tv and pc is back up and running, can having wifi switched on when using a wired connection cause glitches due to nearby wifi traffic and interfere with the wired connection causing the router to drop out occasionally? As has happened a couple of times in the past fortnight even though connection and speed showing no problems with signal or speed. Cheers.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wifi on or off

Hello 👋🏿 

printers normally pause as it receives all the data over WiFi then turn it into a high quality print especially for pictures on photo paper so they normally pauses for longer.

you’ll also notice that the printer will speed up towards the end as it has already processed the information and just needs to finish the job.

any concerns regarding printer performance please contact the manufacturer.

windows doesn’t prioritise one connect other the other and neither does your router.

if you have 3 ports in the back of the router all connected to high bandwidth devices such as Xbox’s or PS’s then you’ll see your connection speed is the same across the board doesn’t matter if 1 device is on or if all 3 are on, 

if you add WiFi to that list now you have 2 types of frequencies 2.4gigahertz or 5gigahertz with up to 50 channels for each frequency.

the connection will also be the same across the board, your faster connection is the 5gigahertz but most devices such as camera systems, home security, printers, etc require the 2.4gigahertz connection or the device will keep dropping out or failing to connect to the hub.

2.4 is lower speeds but travels further so it can each more rooms within your home.

5 is faster but doesn’t travel as far.

combine the two creates a all round good connectivity.

WiFi doesn’t impact Ethernet connected devices or Vice versa.

hope this helps 

Hope this helps! 🙂 If you like my reply and
want to say thanks for the helpful answer
then please click on the Kudos on left hand
side 😉 also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 😄
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wifi on or off

Your post is not very clear. You said "I have my pc and my smart tv using a firestick hard wired into the router".  Does that mean that all three devices are hard wired (Ethernet) to the BT hub or is it just the Firestick that is using Ethernet?

If you are using Ethernet to connect those devices you will need an Ethernet cable run to the PC, a separate Ethernet cable to the Smart TV and yet another separate Ethernet cable to the Firestick. The other end of those Ethernet cables will each need to be plugged into a separate Ethernet Port on the rear of the BT hub, or an Ethernet switch if you are using one.

If you are not connected like that and given the fact you said they stopped working when you turned the Wireless signal off, it would appear that you have at least the Smart TV and PC connected by wireless rather than Ethernet. 

As regards the printer pausing, it may be that it is "buffering" the data that is being sent to it. This would generally only happen if the thing you are wanting printed is a large item and when I say large I mean that it contains a lot of data ie Mega Bytes that needs to be sent to the printer from the PC.

0 Ratings