cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Wikipedia

Go to solution

Yes it is allowed however if it is an ISP problem as an ex BT employee you will possibly be aware that the moderators of this forum would be unable to assist you as you are not a BT Broadband customer.

It also appears not to affect all BT Group customers as I for one can still access the site.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

Go to solution

@gg30340 

My post in this thread was not to gain assistance from the BT Forum mods. It was to give information that might be useful in isolating and solving this problem - that it is not just affecting BT Broadband. I'll bet that when it is resolved for affected Plusnet customers it will also be solved for BT customers experiencing the issue. You are no doubt aware of the close links via BT Group of BT Broadband and Plusnet?

I'm going to link to this thread in my Plusnet forums thread, and hopefully someone in BT and/or Plusnet will pick it up and resolve it for everyone.

Your post that not all BT customers are affected is also very useful.

I spent most of my 38 years at BT in various fault-finding roles. I learnt very quickly that the more information you can get about an issue - particularly what is still working, as well as what is not, then the easier it is to locate the source of the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

@Paul608085 

like @gg30340  I have no problems accessing the site

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Could the problem be a DNS issue? What DNS servers are those having problems  using?

I have no problem using the default BT DNS servers, and get the following from NSLOOKUP:

C:\Users\notwa>nslookup
Default Server: bthub
Address: 192.168.1.254

> www.wikipedia.org
Server: bthub
Address: 192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: dyna.wikimedia.org
Addresses: 2a02:ec80:300:ed1a::1
Aliases: www.wikipedia.org

>

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

I think the issue, what ever it is, might only be revealed by some investigation by support staff.  Personally using BT's DNS with parental controls on, Web protect on, uBlock Origin, and Diversion (I'm not paranoid honest!), I still can't replicate the issue!

Adding yet another aside though, the DNS servers advertised to our routers are proxys.  If you want to see some of the actual servers using a "DNS Leaktest" site will show the actual DNS servers.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution
Same issue here, the issue is also being debated on the plusNet forums (BT network). It's a BT issue alright, not dns related. The error is a timeout so the ip address has already been resolved. At my end Wikipedia is fine on my phone if I disable wifi and use mobile data. It's also fine if I use a VPN. In other words all is OK as long as the request doesn't use the BT network directly. This needs to be resolved by someone at BT, it looks like a routing issue to me. The complaints will certainly increase when the schools go back !
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

@monaco87

"In other words all is OK as long as the request doesn't use the BT network directly."

JOOI, who is your mobile service with?

As I have already said in this thread, I'm now with Plusnet Broadband, (the thread on the PN Forums you mentioned is probably the one that I started), but my mobile is with EE - who you might expect to use the same BT network - but that connects fine to Wikipedia.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

My mobile is O2. EE were purchased by BT so I'd imagine that most, if not all, of the EE network is different from the BT/PlusNet broadband network. It's definitley not a dns issue as a simple nslookup or similar will show that the resolver completes the dns query successfully.

Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

Hi all

The issue has been resolved with a factory reset of the hub.

Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

@GarethP 

That seems to have fixed it for me too, on Plusnet Broadband, thanks for the advice.

Either that, or a very lucky co-incidence!

0 Ratings