cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 1

Wired but ping spikes while gaming.

Hi, If anyone can help me I would be very grateful. I have been in contact with BT for probably the last 6 months but I have given up talking to them as they seem to not understand the issue, give useless information and lie about it. 
Every time I play games on my PC I will get ping spikes which are annoying but manageable until a few random times in the night when it spikes to 1000 and makes games unplayable. I have multiple recordings of this so I can see that the times are random however it’s always late at night or early morning meaning no one else in the house is using the internet as they are all asleep.
I have Fibre 2 connection and my PC is connected to the Smart hub 2 via a Cat 6 cable. 
I have contacted BT and they always say that everything is fine. I have also had an engineer sent out that can’t find any problems with it. 

The last time I contacted them they told me that the cable was the problem that Cat 6 is not supported on the Smart Hub 2 router and I should use a Cat 5e cable instead. I knew this wouldn’t make a difference but I tried it to be sure and the ping spikes remain.

The one time they asked me to do a speed test using their website it was a bit slow at 20Mbps although speed is not my issue and I usually have no problems with speed averaging about 55Mbps. I was told after doing this test to wait a minute and test again and magically the speed test result was 275Mbps incredible considering that speed is not and has never been available in my area. Seems very fishy to me.

Sorry for the info dump but I really need a fix for this and didn’t know how to word it all.

0 Ratings