cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Wireless speeds

I had bt500 fibre and could get roughly around 450mb+ on wireless speeds consistently, I was recently offered bt900 for only £4 extra a month and I took it. The problem is my wireless rates have dropped and I now average 150-300mb on a service I should be getting more from. Has anyone experienced the same problem or have a solution to get my speeds up again?  

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wireless speeds

@mabz 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You need to test the speed with a fast PC, connected to the home hub using an Ethernet cable. That will confirm whether you are getting the minimum guaranteed connection speed.

Wireless is subject to too many variables to give a reliable indication.

Also speed will vary as you are sharing a 2.5Gb fibre connection with 31 other users, so you will only get the full speed if less customers are using their connection. Its quite possible you may not see the benefit of any speed increase, apart from times when few people are using the backhaul link.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I have done so with my PC, on LAN I do get the full 900, the issue is I don't want to run a long cable into my room which is why I use wireless. I do get that wireless has many variables but I guess I wonder why my Wi-Fi speeds would drop on the new package when it was consistent on the package before?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Its more likely that its a wireless throughput issue with the Smart Hub 2, or some form of wireless interference affecting the wireless channel you are using. You could try a restart of the home hub, or simply changing the wireless channel.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Seems to be like that, loads of people been having wireless issues with the smart hub2s. Tried restarting, changing channels still no luck. I am aware that wireless will not get me the full speeds that can only be done through lan, my issue or what i'm confused on is why are my speeds less now that I pay for a higher package. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

It is always worth wiring a device if it can. It also helps your wireless only devices too.

0 Ratings