cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

dynu DNS service support in BT Home Hub 6

Hi.  Hope I'm posting this in the correct area.

I'm trying to set up WAN access on a NAS drive on a home network.  I have an account with Dynu already set up but when I try to tell the HH6 to use this it is not offered as a supported service.

Am I totally excluded from using Dynu as my ddns service or is there a way to enter an alternative not offered in the HH6 dropdown list?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: dynu DNS service support in BT Home Hub 6

Is it definitely an HH6?

You're not limited to using your hub as a DDNS client, if you have another device such as an IP camera which is on 24/7 then you can set DDNS up on that 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks LG.  Yes it is a Smart Hub 6.  That sounds as though I have the wrong view of DNS.  I thought the BT Hub had to be set up with the details of DNS servers too.  I have an account with Dynu as I said.  The BT Hub has a spot where I thought I had to fill in preferred DNS servers to link to that DNS account.

I'm trying to set up FTP access on an older Zyxel NSA310 NAS drive and I have to say the BT Hub does not seem to be making things straightforward.  The Zyxel seems to not recognise the BT Hub as a device supporting UPnP as it does not offer me WAN configuration options where the manual shows it should.  LAN stuff is there but no WAN section.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Any device on your network which has DDNS capability built in or is capable of running your providers client software can be used to update your IP address with your DDNS provider, it doesn't even need to be on 24/7 but of course updates could be missed if it isn't. For example, assume you use a laptop to run the Dynu client, if you're laptop is powered down then there will be no update to your DDNS account until you turn it on again.

You do not need DDNS to enable FTP if both the server and client are on the same network, all DDNS does is keep track of changes to your IP address and continue to point you to your own network. 

0 Ratings