cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

no IPv6 despite it being on in router and Windows x10 ethernet adapters?

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

on IPCONFIG /ALL it shows IPv6 address on, (on and allocated in the Smart Hub 2 – which was recently updated)

and enabled in IPv6 on the windows adapters (auto negotiation), BUT – I noticed it did NOT show any IPv4 WAN address? Only local LAN and 1 DNS address (with 1 IPv6 DNS address)

Most say (preferred) and even have some say 'Temporary'?

Why can't I see my IPv4 WAN address?

an IPv6 test site reports that my ISP is not using IPv6, but using IPv4 only, when it should be both/?

link - https://test-ipv6.com/

edit: related? : https://codereview.chromium.org/7029049

and using librewolf?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: no IPv6 despite it being on in router and Windows x10 ethernet adapters?

Go to solution

In brief:

Ipconfig /all calls that information from the Windows computer not from the router, so it won’t see the IPv4 WAN address as that is the router’s concern, not the computer's.

“Preferred” occurs because, for choice, the computer will request the address it had last time.  That is may no longer be available and so it gets issued with a new address.  It is the preferred address not a permanent one.  I will add, that "preferred" means it has obtained the address it had last time it started.

“Temporary” is because IPv6 in its original form generates an address that goes out to the outside world with you MAC address.  There were privacy concerns about this so now IPv6 generates a temporary address and replaces it periodically to hide your real address from the outside world.

Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you

very informative

edit: then why does it whow my IPv6 addresss (WAN) as that too should be the routers concern? and why does that website say im not using IPv6?

from that site:

If you strongly believe you have IPv6, but we were unable to detect it: it means one of a couple of things. Either your organization is blocking the use of IPv6 to talk to the outside Internet through network policy; or perhaps what you see with IPv6 on your host is not a global address. Any address starting with "::", "fc", "fd", or "fe" are unable to work with the public IPv6 Internet.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

this site says no IPv6 detected too?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

There is a severe shortage of IPv4 addresses.  One solution was private (i.e. internal) addressing & NAT (Network address translation).  Your Internal IPv4 address is translated to the single unique public IPv4 address issued to you by the ISP when the traffic goes out through the router.  As I said, that public address is nothing to do with the computer and the computer is unaware of it.

Now IPv6 is different in many ways, none the least of which is the way it works.  There are a lot of IPv6 addresses.  One allegory is that there are potentially 55 million for every square metre of the earth’s surface.  Consequently, whereas you have just the one IPv4 address you can have several IPv6 addresses for different tasks, hence the prefixes listed at the bottom of your post.  NAT is a pain.  One of reasons for IPv6 is to do away with it.  Your IPv6 address is not translated by the router, effectively the computer’s address goes out unaltered.  (As I also said, major privacy concerns with this, hence temporary addresses).  As the address is the address autoconfigured by the computer, of course, it is aware of it and it gets listed by ipconfig.  As the footnote in one of your posts notes, the FE address is for internal communication only so that doesn’t go out to the world, only the global address, (the one beginning with “2”), does.

There could be many reasons the computer is using IPv4 instead of 6, none the least of which is that the other end doesn’t support it.  Windows will use whichever is the best for the job at the time.  Why are you so concerned by it?  The only time it might be an issue is if you try to connect to an IPv6 only site and there are very few of those.

What does this site say:

https://test-ipv6.com/

Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

In fact, having just checked, it looks to me as though WhatsMyIP is IPv4 only.  Where does it mention IPv6?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

it says on this site: (IPv6 undetected)
https://test-ipv6.com/

that ANY IPv6 WAN address starting with – '::, fc, fe or fd' are NOT compatible with the public IPv6 websites
and mine starts with 'fe'

Quote -
“If you strongly believe you have IPv6, but we were unable to detect it: it means one of a couple of things. Either your organization is blocking the use of IPv6 to talk to the outside Internet through network policy; or perhaps what you see with IPv6 on your host is not a global address. Any address starting with “::", "fc", "fd", or "fe” are unable to work with the public IPv6 Internet.”

ipv6 says NO.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

For what it is worth and I'm no techie!

IPV6.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

so what the heck is wrong with mine?
maybe i should start a new thread as this has been marked as SOLTUIONED! so staff wont entertain it!

also i think they are all meant to be green ticks and not blue !'s - just like my ipv6 DNS record

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

BT do provide IPv6.  Mine has been working fine for 4/5 years now.  I am running it through a Draytek with IPv6 configured as PPP.

You don’t indicate what you are running as a router, (or I’ve missed it).  Assuming it is a Smart Hub/Home Hub it should say in the connection properties if IPv6 is enabled.  If you are running a different router you will need to turn IPv6 on.  It is not usually on automatically, even today.  If it is getting an IPv6 address then something is stopping the advertisement being passed to the computer.  Check the DHCPv6 settings.  If it is not already using SLAAC then setting it as 'stateless client' is probably your best bet.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

0 Ratings