cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: openreach master socket port shape is wrong - can't verify BT ID

Go to solution

I went to Curry’s and they confidently gave me a cable that didn’t fit, would anyone happen to have a link to a model that might before I try another location? 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution

What is the description on the packet?

Does your master socket have a single port or two?

Depending on what Currys gave you Screwfix have on under code 76702HS. Sorry, but I can't post a direct link.

rbz5416_0-1714137001475.png

Hopefully @WSH is correct & the router has been modified to accept either cable.

Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

@iamverytired 

Both RJ45 (Ethernet) and RJ11 (DSL) are the same shape but RJ45's are bigger.  They have 8 pins whereas RJ11 have 2 or 4 pins (with spaces for up to 6 in the plug body).  Unfortunately, we can't post a link to a commercial site as it is against forum rules.

@rbz5416 

Both straight-through and crossover work as I've used both on my own hub.

Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

@iamverytired 

I’m trying to work out how Curry’s could give you a cable that doesn’t fit.

A thought has just occurred to me.  If that is a very old BT socket it might be a single socket for a phone only.  If this is the case, you need a small box known as a ‘microfilter’.  This plugs into the phone socket and provides two sockets.  An RJ11 for the internet and a phone socket for the phone.  If BT had supplied the right lead one would be in the box but not if they only supplied ethernet cables.

Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

So the cable I got earlier was a CAT6 ethernet cable @rbz5416 , but I also bought a RJ11 just because that’s what you guys had recommended (thankfully.)

@WSH yes you’re correct about the old socket, I went to a different location and they told me to get a micro-filter, and that it would work with the cable I’d gotten earlier. The micro-filter fits my socket, but not the cable. It DOES fit the RJ11 I bought separately, which matches what you’re saying. I’m able to plug the RJ11 into the ethernet ports of my hub in turn, but I’m guessing something’s wrong with this set-up since the hub is still flashing purple.

Not sure where to go from here, still trying to get in touch with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

You don't plug the cable into an Ethernet socket, it goes in the DSL socket.

The micro filter plugs into the NTE 5c phone (bt431) socket and provides both a phone socket and RJ11 socket. You then connect the double ended RJ11 cable into the RJ11 socket in the filter and the DSL socket on the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

The RJ11 connects to the grey DSL port on the hub.  As I mentioned earlier, RJ11 is smaller version of RJ45 so the RJ11 may well fit the RJ45 port but it will not work that way.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

Right sorry I mixed my ports! I plugged the RJ11 into the broadband port and now the hub is blue!!

Still no internet, but that’s real progress

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

If you've got a computer connected to that you will need to reboot the computer so it picks up the correct IP address.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

Hmm, if the hub is blue you should have internet. How are you connecting to the hub, WiFi or Ethernet? If Ethernet make sure you are not using port 4 unless you have disabled FTTP mode in the hub manager.

0 Ratings