Go to solution

Google POE injector, they're generally around £25 - £30 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

Re: port forwarding problem

Go to solution

@capnahab wrote:

to avoid double NAT and simplify port forwarding

I assume that is in response to my point about hub in bridge mode, you haven't attributed it or quoted the post you are referring to.

There is already a modem in the form of the ONT, adding another is pointless and wouldn't work anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

@capnahabwrote:

you'll have to explain what an injector is.

POE.jpg

In your case replace the Network Switch with your Hub & the single port injector with a dual. If you intend adding other POE devices then a POE switch would be better.

Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks all, - I have changed my set up to eliminate the Smart hub, and I now have my router connected directly to the modem. I have set up port for forwarding of 80 and 8001 for one of my cameras. Using this online port checker (https://portchecker.co/check-it) says both ports are closed.  

Looking through other messages it seems notoriously dffiicult to do this and shouldnt be. I have read that BT do not bloack any ports. 

How can I investigate this. 

Chat GPT has recommended this most of which I have done., I can telenet to the camers from within my network. 

If you've already set up port forwarding on your MikroTik router but a port checker tool is showing that ports 80 and 8001 are blocked, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. **Check MikroTik Configuration:**
- Ensure that the port forwarding rules are correctly configured. You should have rules that forward traffic from the WAN interface on the specific ports to the corresponding IP address and ports on your internal network.
- Verify that the destination IP address in the port forwarding rule is correct and that the device is online and set up to accept connections on those ports.

2. **Firewall Rules:**
- Check the MikroTik firewall settings to make sure there are no rules that explicitly block ports 80 and 8001.
- Ensure that there are accept rules for the incoming connections on ports 80 and 8001 in the firewall settings.

3. **ISP Restrictions:**
- Some ISPs block incoming traffic on certain ports, especially port 80, to prevent residential customers from hosting public websites. Contact your ISP to confirm if they block these ports.

4. **Testing Internally:**
- Try accessing your service internally using the local IP and the designated port to ensure the service is running and listening on the correct port.
- Use a tool like `telnet` or `nc` (netcat) to test port connectivity internally: `telnet <device-IP> 80` or `nc -zv <device-IP> 80`.

5. **External Testing:**
- When testing externally, ensure you're using your public IP address.
- If possible, try testing the port from a different network, like a mobile data connection, to rule out local network issues.

6. **Check Connected Devices:**
- Ensure that the device you're trying to reach is properly configured to accept connections on the relevant ports. For example, if it's a web server, make sure it's configured to listen on ports 80 or 8001.

7. **Logs and Monitoring:**
- Check the MikroTik logs for any indications of why the traffic might be blocked.
- Use tools like packet sniffers (e.g., Wireshark) to monitor the traffic and see if the packets are reaching the router and being forwarded or dropped.

By methodically going through these steps, you should be able to identify where the blockage is occurring and take appropriate action to resolve it. If after all these checks the ports still appear to be blocked, there might be a more specific issue at play that could require a deeper dive into the configuration and potentially reaching out to MikroTik support or your ISP for further assistance.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

Test using Shields Up.

This will give one of three results for the port being probed.

Open.....port forwarding working properly

Closed....port forwarded correctly but no application listening on the port

Stealth...port not forwarded correctly

I have never found port forwarding problematic.

Item 5 in your list is particularly important, don't try to access your public IP address from within your LAN, you need to try it from a separate network, 4G etc

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

I did manage to get this working until my public IP address changed so my IP address at No-ip no longer was pointing at me. Are BT public IP addresses not static?.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

No, but that is the point of using a DDNS service such as Noip, it should track the change.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

Provided you have an update agent running, or the correct setting in the DDNS section of the home hub.

Also the free version of No-IP requires that you manually refresh your host settings every 30 days.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution
Oh, it wasnt tracking the change.
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

@capnahab 

Is it the free single host version of No-IP you are using?

0 Ratings