cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

BT TV App (v2.0.0.0) not working - error WP041

I seemed to have stumbled across an error code that hardly anyone has met. The error code I get when the BT TV app launches on my laptop is WP041. The text that shown at the same time as the code basically says check Windows updates and ensure display drivers are up to date. Both are. Tech support seemed to abandon my with 'local device issue'. Poor. It worked previously. Has anyone else hit this issue. In terms of hardware, I'm hitting this on a Lenovo x220. 

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: BT TV App (v2.0.0.0) not working - error WP041

It's a new code that we added just a few weeks ago to handle this scenario.

It means that the Edge browser on your device is reporting that your hardware is incapable of playing our DRM protected content. Older versions of Windows force disabled it due to a bug on some chipsets, and some chipsets just don't support it at all.

If you're definitely up to date on Windows (Windows 10 21H2) and the graphics drivers are up to date then I'm afraid it means that your hardware just isn't capable of using the BT TV app.

The previous app used Silverlight which is no longer supported by Microsoft. We were forced to move to an alternative solution, and this is currently the only one available to us. We're hoping to move to a new solution using new content protection, however it's going to take a few months at least.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 27

Windows build is 21 H2 (19044.1706).  I tend to use Chrome browser, but it's a consistent issue Chrome or Edge. What's super annoying is BT Sport etc. will play in the browser, but by navigating a separate way, the BT TV app is called upon. However, I hit the issue with Eurosport, which doesn't show up in the browser route. Even more annoying, everything on NowTV is fine. As a VIP subscriber, it's bonkers that everything is not available via one route. Ultimately I was sold a product that offered a PC windows option and it work at the outset and it's now broken. Legacy support is a requirement - unless BT would like to buy me a new laptop! Is NowTv still using SilverLight and will that all die if they upgrade. If the solution in 'a few months at least' works, then ok, but in the meantime I should be compensated accordingly. That aside, thanks for the technical update - it's the most informative response I've had despite hours with customer services and technical support!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

Could you please check through this thread from post 20 onwards, where another customer was seeing this issue (which would previously report as WP035):

Re: Windows cannot login with BT TV player - BT Community

I suspect the edge://gpu screen will show that PlayReady Hardware DRM is disabled, and possibly indicate that there's a driver bug workaround applied.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

Like @xtreme4l , just WideVine is showing as supported, not PlayReady. Edge/GPU showed PlayReady Hardware DRM disabled.

However, for me disable_playready_hardware_drm_25668132 did not show up.

Running the test code at PlayReady Test Server (microsoft.com), it returned 4 falses. Does that confirm this device (Lenovo x220) does not support hardware PlayReady? What about a software version? Or perhaps we have to wait for widevine?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

A related question if I may. The device I have is a little elderly, but works really well. The processor is an i7-2600 and as it's a laptop with no additional graphics card, it must use Intel HD Graphics 2000. Does this mean anyone on HD Graphics 2000 would have this problem.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

I can't find a definite list of graphics chips that support hardware PlayReady, and I can't see an easy way to tell for sure. It does appear that Intel HD Graphics 2000 doesn't support it though, based on your test results.

Edge doesn't currently provide a way for us to use software PlayReady, and the app we've provided is the only option we had for now - until Widevine support can be added to our content.

At over 10 years old, I'm afraid it looks like your laptop is no longer capable of watching BT TV.  It's possible that support may come back at a later date, but I can't promise anything. Sorry.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

Help!  I'm not a computer expert, but since BT have changed their access software, I too am unable to open BT Sport, getting the error message that I should check Windows Update to ensure the Display Drivers are up to date and quoting Error Code WP041.  The Windows Update tells me I am up to date (although my machine does not have the capability to access Windows 11).  The old BT Sport software worked fine.  I cannot access via My BT as the picture freezes after about 10 seconds (though the sound continues ok).  I am using Firefox as my default browser.   What do I do next?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

It is still not working!  I would appreciate some advice on how to resolve.  My laptop is not that old

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

If you're seeing WP041 in the BT TV app and you're fully up to date then I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done to make that app work.

If it's BT Sport that you want to watch then www.bt.com/sport/watch is the best alternative on your laptop.

0 Ratings