cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 12

Re: Discovery PLus channel on BT Box

Go to solution

@DarrenDev 

I can't remember where I read about Roku developing the Firestick but confirmation of Amazon to start building in India can be found on Google, e.g. Amazon partners with Foxconn to make Fire TV Sticks in India - Nikkei Asia

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 12

Re: Discovery PLus channel on BT Box

Go to solution

Neither Roku nor Amazon manufacture anything. 

Firesticks are made by Foxconn, and always have been - it is Foxconn that is now making them in India in addition to its existing Asian plants.

Roku don't say who makes their equivalent, but their recent annual accounts say:

We outsource the manufacturing of our products to our contract manufacturers and original design manufacturers. All of our products are manufactured in the People’s Republic of China, Southeast Asia, and Brazil.

I believe that Foxconn is one of those manufacturers. So it is true that the same third party manufactures (and continues to manufacture) both, but not that one manufactures the other.

The software of the two is completely different - Fire OS being a fork of Google's Android, Roku based directly on Unix. Roku was originally part of Netflix, but was spun off early in its life.