cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

EE Pro box and powerline

I have just got the new EE Pro Box and it is connected via a powerline adaptor to my Hub 
when I record 2 TNT sports channels at the same time - I get a pixelated partial recording that fails on both channels

I have a speed at the Hub of 45Mb and at the pro box of 36Mb

I can though record a TNT sports channel and watch a different channel on my mobile device via wifi from that same powerline adaptor into a wifi access point

Any ideas - BT online help just said a direct connection was needed - but complete Wifi should work - although don't believe that 

Any ideas

Thanks

Mike

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: EE Pro box and powerline

Channels on the box use a fixed bitrate - if there's not sufficient bandwidth, then the channels will fail. On your mobile device, if the bandwidth isn't sufficient then the quality just lowers until it works - it's not a fair comparison.

Powerline adapters vary in quality and throughput significantly - they're a last resort, and can't be relied upon.

Complete WiFi (or Smart WiFi if you're on EE broadband) will help, as boosting the WiFi signal will allow your full internet bandwidth to be shared around the home.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: EE Pro box and powerline

If one of the recorded channels is 4k & the other HD then you're going to be getting close to the limit of that 36Mb. As @DarrenDev has said, that bandwidth needs to be constant too, which a simple speed test won't tell you. The you may have other users in the house.

First thing would be to try a direct ethernet connection, just to prove where the issue lies. Once you're certain it's the powerline then you can look at alternatives.

0 Ratings