cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Error BTP-15990 when trying to use BT Sport

Hello

I used to use BT Sport on both my bedroom TV as well as living room TV, and also app on my phone (logged in to all using username and password).

A few weeks ago my living room TV came up with an error (can't remember code) but looked it up online and read a factory reset should solve it.

I've done a factory reset but I am now getting an error which states 'Sorry, you need a BT TV account to access the BT Player. Sign-up at www.bt.com/TV .....' It then goes on to quote error BTP-15990.

I'm not sure why its saying though that I haven't got a BT TV account, as it hasn't even asked me for any log in details. From what I recall I have always just had to log in to devices using the username and password that my monthly broadband / BT TV subscription is set up to.

Still working on my bedroom TV + phone, but need it resolving on living room TV.  I tried ringing the number but just on hold for ages and ages.WhatsApp Image 2022-10-12 at 11.10.09 AM.jpeg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Error BTP-15990 when trying to use BT Sport

Do you have another BT TV box in your bedroom?  Or are you using an app on the TV or a connected device?

For the channels to work on a BT TV box, it needs to be connected directly to your home BT Broadband on your landline (note: the 4G smart hub will not work).  It picks up your subscription automatically from the broadband connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hello Darren - Thanks for your reply.

Apologies I am not the most technical at this kind of thing! We only have 1x BT box in the house, which is downstairs in the living room and connected up to the TV. In the bedroom I am using the app and having to log in using email and password for my BT Sport subscription.

But I thought I was using the app on my living room TV too, as I find it with the rest (netflix, BBC iplayer etc), but like I say when open it is just giving me this error straight away without giving me the chance to log in using my details. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Do you have more than one broadband connection in your home? e.g. you're posting on these forums from a fibre broadband connection that isn't from BT. Your BT TV box must be connected to your BT broadband connection for it to work properly.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi Darren

We just have 1x broadband which is from EE (we used to use a BT hub but when it came up for renewal earlier this year we moved over to EE as part of you becoming part of them).

My understanding was that is that I could log in to BT TV like an app regardless of which broadband its connected to? The TV in my bedroom uses the same broadband and that works fine on BT Sport. I just logged in to it the same as I'd log in to something like Netflix. But as I say the living room TV isn't giving me the option to log in. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Ah OK. In which case, I'm afraid you can no longer watch BT Sport on your BT TV box. You'll need to either install an app on your living room TV (if one is available) or connect a device to it that adds support - e.g. a Fire TV, Chromecast, Apple TV, Xbox, Playstation, Roku, etc.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Is that because it is an EE hub as oppose to BT? Okay I will look and see if there is an app I can download. I was under the impression I was already trying to use an app, as it is with the others such as Netflix etc.. as oppose to a channel. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

It's not specifically the hub - it's the broadband line that provides the account details. The "BT TV Player" on the BT TV box isn't an app in the traditional sense, and doesn't allow username and password login.

I have to confess that I'm a little confused about your setup - the account that you're logged onto these forums with is associated with a BT account that has BT Broadband and a BT TV subscription, including BT Sport. If your BT TV box was connected to that line, you'd be able to watch BT Sport on that box via the BT Sport channels shown in the TV Guide.

Given that you have EE broadband instead, it sounds like your BT ID is associated with someone else's account.
0 Ratings