cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Live football keeps losing internet and box freezes

Nearly every time I watch live football on TNT, via my you view box ,I lose the internet after a short time and it takes everything else online out (eg all apps and recordings) at the same time. The only way I can get it back is to disconnect and reboot the box which takes about 10 minutes and, more often than not, it happens again a bit later.

As an experiment last night I started watching a match I wasn't interested in and set the recorder. Sure enough the internet cut out fairly soon but I just left it alone and switched to my TV instead for the rest of the evening.  ( apps  still work ok on the smart TV). When I checked this morning the whole of the match had been recorded on the box despite what had happened .

Can anyone suggest what may be happening here?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Live football keeps losing internet and box freezes

@homerhotspur I'm sorry, when this happens do you get an error message on the screen?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Not specifically I don't think although  when I am frantically clicking various buttons (eg back button) to try and resolve things I have got the ' you need to add TNT Sport to your subscription'  or  ' Press back ' for something or other but generally it just goes blank and cannot be revived.

I had thought it was only TNT Sport but tonight I was watching a programme from Now TV and that just froze too.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@homerhotspur How is your TV box connected to your Smart Hub? Do you use an ethernet cable, powerline adapters or wifi if its a pro box?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Powerline adapter

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@homerhotspur can you try resetting those and let me know if it helps? If they're the mini connector model press and hold the +Add button on the side for more than 15 seconds.

Thanks

Neil

Message 7 of 9

hi @homerhotspur great bit of detective work.

From your description and testing it sounds as if the box is asking for more bandwidth than is available at the time. Watching and recording 2 different HD channels would be around 20Mb/s demand which is well within normal capacity, though if one channel is UHD (e.g. TNT Sport Ultimate) that would be 30Mb/s by itself. 

The restriction may well be due to the power line adapters as @NeilO has suggested especially if they are struggling to find a "noise free" frequency on the home wiring they use to route the broadband traffic to the box so resetting as a first step is a great idea, (Also helpful if neither is plugged into a surge suppressing extension block)

It would also be an idea to make sure there's no underlying BB issue that might mean you have a lower than expected rate - you can check that by running a "Test My Speed" check from the MyBT app. 

If you are still stuck, drop me a PM with your TV Box Serial number and we'll take a look for you.

Cheers

David

Message 8 of 9

Ok thanks, i will try the re-set once I work out how to do it as they are not the  mini adapters that you describe.

Its always difficult when a problem like this is  inconsistent. It worked ok yesterday .

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Unfortunately, that's often the case with these types of adapters, they are quite prone to interference from other mains connected devices like switching power supplies, central heating timers and the like - we even had a case where passing trams caused pixelation. If you can check which devices are plugged when the issue occurs, it may help find the culprit and suggest a solution.