cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Discovery BT deal

A few quick questions, not covered by main press release, if I may. 

In the interim, it appears BT Sport and Eurosport will operate separately, before coming together. But BT TV customers get discovery plus for free. 

1. When will BT customers get free access to discovery plus? 

2. Will this be the ad or non ad version of discovery plus? 

3. Will BT Sport app subscribers through Plusnet or EE get access? 

Many thanks 

https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-group-and-warner-bros-discovery-agree-to-form-new-premium-sports-joint-ve...

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Discovery BT deal

The press release talks of the transaction being completed by the end of this year so my assumption would be the start of 2023 just before.  It's far too early to say regarding points 2 and 3 I would think.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

2023 is fine with me because I've just bought 12 months of Discovery+ for £29.99... hopefully next year when the next product is released, it will include HBO Max because Discovery are merging it all to one super app... Taraaaa Sky 😆

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Thanks- I'm wondering whether to renew discovery plus (hopefully for £29.99 from july). 

Might not if customers get it for free before the JV completes. 

As for HBO max, sky Atlantic deal runs to 2025, so I don't envisage change before then, unless Discovery compensate Sky- who will decide if compensation is worth more than HBO content 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@Tvsportwatcher The joint venture between BT and Warner Bros. Discovery, Inc has not been finalised and for the minute your BT Sport service will not change. If or when we make any changes, our customers will be the first to know about these.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for asking these questions. It will be helpful for many users. I have one more question, if you know kindly let me know. Thanks.

Can I get Discovery Plus on YouView box? 
Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Personally I think the most interesting points from the press release are that:

1. The production and operational assets of BT Sport will transfer to and then be wholly owned by WBD by the end of 2022 and
  2. That WBD have the option to buy out the BT stake during the first 4 years of the joint venture, which I have no doubt will happen otherwise it wouldn't be there

So what you have is the end of BT Sport as you know it and eventually a new sports brand and app which (if the buy out is exercised), BT will have no operational say in, just like the content they buy from Sky with the NOW agreement.

Meanwhile, the new joint venture have agreed a memorandum of understanding that extends past 2030 with Sky to distribute all of its combined sports content. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Thanks Neil, all noted. 

The press release states: Those customers who access BT Sport through BT directly, and the majority of BT TV customers, are set to receive discovery+, the non-fiction entertainment streaming service which is home to Eurosport’s live and on-demand streaming offer in the UK & Ireland, as part of existing subscriptions

Do you know when this will occur? (Before the JV starts or after)

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@Tvsportwatcher deal is still not been finally done. What is said in the press release is just what may happen when a deal is made.

Also BT are to start to rebrand some services as EE later in the year.

Darren

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

As we are now further along, do we have any answers to these questions?

0 Ratings