cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Classic Patch Tuesday

Classic patch Tuesday tonight.

Security update for Windows 10 RE partition, (recovery environment partition).  The trouble is most existing RE partitions are going to be too small for it, so you need to manually shrink your operating system partition and then delete the RE partition and create a new one 250MB bigger, using Diskpart and the command line.  Yeah, most of the world will be able to do that, no trouble.

I love it!  Not April the 1st in the US, is it?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Classic Patch Tuesday

I don't understand what Windows updates have got to do with BT phone, TV, email or broadband.
Message 3 of 8

@chrisjp wrote:
I don't understand what Windows updates have got to do with BT phone, TV, email or broadband.

The post is in "The Lounge" board.  The purpose of the board is as follows:-

The Lounge

Welcome to the lounge! This is the place to come for a friendly chat with other forum members. Why not take 5 minutes, introduce yourself and start a conversation. This is the place for off topic chitchat on subjects other than BT service problems. It’s a great way to connect with other like-minded members so why not start a conversation or join in on one.

So I would suggest that the post meets the criteria for this board.

Message 4 of 8

@WSHwrote:

Classic patch Tuesday tonight.

Security update for Windows 10 RE partition, (recovery environment partition).  The trouble is most existing RE partitions are going to be too small for it, so you need to manually shrink your operating system partition and then delete the RE partition and create a new one 250MB bigger, using Diskpart and the command line.  Yeah, most of the world will be able to do that, no trouble.

I love it!  Not April the 1st in the US, is it?

I've x3 machines. My Daily Driver, GPT / TPM / UEFI updated, all OK. No2 MBR / BIOS. error 0x80070643. No3 MBR / BIOS. error 0x80070643.
If you don't use Bitlocker; so, what's all the fuss. The complex fix is: messing around with disk partitions using MS diskpart. Not for the feint-hearted. The simple fix is: hide KB5034441, using MS wushowhide.diagcab.
The choice rests with the user.
POT-BT-207.gif

Message 5 of 8

Ahh - apologies, I hadn't realised there was a section for general commentary!
Message 6 of 8

@gg30340as there doesn't seem to be a button to like a post here, I'll say thanks for that comment.

@chrisjpYou are, of course, entitled to your opinion but if you don't think the post is relevant why read it?

@COMPANY-PENSIONERIt's supposed to be a security update.  Do you really want to hide that and forget about it?

I wouldn't rush to try and sort it.  The supplied fix doesn’t work with Bitlocker anyway.  Which is a bit ironic, as I thought the update was to address a Bitlocker vulnerability.

Message 7 of 8

All the online advice recommend leaving the update even if it has failed to install and do not attempt to resize the partion. Microsoft will no doubt bring out an update to fix this or with draw the update.

Message 8 of 8

Hi there.

To clarify the issue. I've used MS wushowhide.diagcab to 'hide' KB5034441. My 'Windows Update' screen, now indicates 'You're up to date'. rather than an 'Error' diatribe. When MS issue a fix; I'll use MS wushowhide.diagcab, to 'show' KB5034441, to download and install the fix. A simple exercise in computer housekeeping.
BE SAFE OUT THERE !BE SAFE OUT THERE !