cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Cost to replace cable from mast to house?

HI all,

So my neighbour had a rubbish clearance company come out earlier today, they reversed their van onto both driveways and collided with the cable that runs from the mast, to my home.

Needless to say, it snapped, from both ends.

Luckily I don't have a landline or ADSL type service as I'm on full fibre

I did read that BT is phasing out the copper wire service, so is it worth getting a quote to have that cable replaced? And does anyone know how much it will cost?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cost to replace cable from mast to house?

@adresch 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

You would need to discuss that with Openreach, although its unlikely they would replace it unless its a hazard.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/damage-health-and-safety

Message 3 of 12

Thanks Keith, I Assume I'd have to pay to have it replaced if I ever wanted a landline though right? or are those cables being phased out entirely?

Message 4 of 12

No. The use for phone is being phased out but still can be used for broadband ADSL or FTTC

I would not bother replacing unless causing problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 12

If the wire brought down doesn’t have a working service over it , then it’s not really of any consequence, however if the ends are hanging down dangerously , especially at the pole end of the broken cable , you couldreport it to Openreach as ‘dangerous’ ,  and the will recover the wire at the pole …if you ever ordered service via Openreach before FTTP from Openreach became available , then the wire would need replacement , if FTTP became available via OR then the copper cable would be removed anyway , so it’s not worth trying to get effectively a dead cable put back up …if it’s not causing a problem, it’s not  worth worrying about .

Message 6 of 12

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

Message 7 of 12

"Luckily I don't have a landline or ADSL type service as I'm on full fibre"

When you say you're on full fibre, do you mean fibre to the premises (FTTP)?
If that's the case, then the copper cable that was snapped was redundant and serving no purpose, so I don't understand why you are wondering about getting it replaced. If you want a digital voice telephone service in the future, that will be carried over the fibre line in the same way as your broadband connection and will not need a copper line.
If I've misunderstood, and you have fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) then the snapped copper cable would have cut off your broadband service, so I guess that can't be the case.
Message 8 of 12

My take on this was that the OP has FTTP from a different supplier using underground supply ( Virgin most likely) , and  not from the pole with the now broken copper dropwire.

Message 9 of 12

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I have FTTP from No one/Cityfibre

I just noticed that half the cable is hanging from the telegraph pole and is currently draped across someone's bush in their garden

I should report that as a hazard right?

https://imgur.com/a/9hYOBmj

Message 10 of 12

Yes