cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 34

Re: Need Windows 10 or 11. As am currently on 8.1 but was told it will be stopping in January 2023.

Go to solution

Thanks a lot as got windows 10 installed. Much appreciated as a wouldn,t be the smartest on upgrading etc. Rodders

Message 12 of 34

Re: Need Windows 10 or 11. As am currently on 8.1 but was told it will be stopping in January 2023.

Go to solution

I have or thought a had all up and going as it went/run through a few things took about 10-15 minutes, but then Windows 10 came back and asked me for my license number and i do not no were it is. Must have it away somewhere, but BT told me that my P.C would upgrade automatically. Like everything is legit although it is from 2013, but touch would going superb, speeds etc! Night and thanks again. Rodney

Message 13 of 34

Go to solution

W10 would normally have located the W8.1 licence key when it was upgrading. If it has not done that you may find the licence key on a label somewhere on the computer. It might be on the base or side.

If it is not there you could try using the following methods in this link.

3 simple ways to find your Windows 10 product key | TechRepublic

Message 14 of 34

Go to solution

This is what i have installed "MediaCreat 1 on Tool 21H2(1)".  After it installs everything about a minute later this box appears to enter my/that long licence number. When i go to my P.C settings it says 8.1, when i go to upgrade it keeps saying try later. See i don,t think i ever activated this P.C. Need to get somebody in who knows what there doing as it  maybe something simple. But that Licence number must be somewhere. Even WROTE ON THIS P.C or i have it stored away somewhere in the HOME. Look thanks again for all the advice, I,LL find the number somewhere! Rodders

Message 15 of 34

Go to solution

Try downloading Speccy. The number will be right there under Operating System.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 16 of 34

Go to solution

Got Speccy downloaded and got Product Key Thought that,s brilliant, but after everything was upgraded to windows 10, asked me for the code. Entered it and it would not accept it. Said wrong code/whatever. Me heads away with it to be honest, so a think be better leaving it as it going to drive me up the wall. But thanks again for all your help much appreciated. Rodders!

Message 17 of 34

Go to solution

If all else fails, there are plenty of Windows 10 codes for sale online at a reasonable price. The are OEM codes, but should work fine. I assume its Windows 10 Home that you now have installed?

I am surprised that the licence code that you found on your PC did not work, make sure its the licence code and not just the product code.

You can run Windows 10 without a licence, but you cannot personalise it.

Message 18 of 34

Go to solution

No I am on 8.1, trying to get Windows 10. Have great wee yoke here like as does me, good speeds etc. Yea will get sorted out some way. When on there to google about it and you want to see/hear the complaints flying around it,s wild about people can,t get there windows activated. Somebody posted in that it was a scam for/by  "M-------T" to get into your DATA, MOBILE PHONES etc. I,ll get sorted but thanks again! Rodders

Message 19 of 34

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I am surprised that the licence code that you found on your PC did not work, make sure its the licence code and not just the product code.

Hi Keith.

Speccy shows the following on my laptop:

Serial Number: M*B*7K-Y*7*7-R7*6Q-YP*8W-QC*36

I assumed that this would be the required code. Does it look like it to you?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 20 of 34

Go to solution

That would be the correct format. The problem is that some licence codes are for upgrading only. If you did a fresh install instead of an upgrade install, it may not work.

Whenever I have installed on a new machine, I use the same code from an old defunct Windows 7 PC, and it normally works. Having a Microsoft account also seems to help, as it always says that the licence is now stored against my Microsoft account.