cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

My ASUS CM1740 desktop PC beeps 11 times when starting (booting-up) - Can someone help?

Go to solution

Hi BT Forum Members,

I have as my desktop a ASUS CM1740 PC, its now about ten years old and generally works well. 

Last night it started to peep continually. The CPU fan was running very fast approx. 4000 rpm (very noisy). It should be around 1650 rpm I say. It has been running fast on many occasions over the last year or so.

I opened up the case and hoovered the dust and took off the heat sink and used my vacuum to suck up the dust from the heat sink and fan.

I don't have any thermal paste for CPU or an rubbing alcohol to remove the old paste, but I nevertheless put the heat sink back. 

The beeps still happen and they are 11 when I count, booting up the PC. According to online information this means I have a  'Cache Memory Error'. My PC boots more or less OK, but I seem to of lost an internal hard-drive my original spinning drive (HDD). My boot drive is my SSD and this is where I  save all my data has my programmes etc.

Do I need to worry about this situation?

Is there a way of fixing this beeping now?

The CPU fan is quiet now and I monitor the speed and temperature of the MB and CPU. Seems OK.

Can I just continue to use the PC as it now is, or does this need fixing, has there been damage to the CPU from maybe excessive heat?

Many thanks.

KR,

ZXSpectrum

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: My ASUS CM1740 desktop PC beeps 11 times when starting (booting-up) - Can someone help?

Go to solution

Computers should not beep. If they do it means there is a fault that needs fixed not ignored.

You need to take it to a person who knows what they are doing and have it fixed or as it is getting a bit long in the tooth, replaced.

Message 3 of 3

Re: My ASUS CM1740 desktop PC beeps 11 times when starting (booting-up) - Can someone help?

Go to solution

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

The issue was the original HDD had died and I had already beginning of 2020  installed an SSD to become my boot drive and transferred the data. I removed the HDD after cleaning my heatsink and got rubbing alcohol and thermal paste to reapply to the CPU and heatsink.

All seems OK now.

KR,

ZXSpec