cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Old telephone junction box

Go to solution

Hello,

My sister asked me to rip out old door bell wiring & what we thought was a similar old wire in the porch. 

The old wire in the porch was very old, and, after cutting it, we discovered that it goes into telephone junction box with incoming telephony wire. The other end of  this wire appears to go into the floor. The wires are very fine.

An hour or so after we removed the wires there were 2 very load claps / cracks from behind my mums lounge chair. I thought the house is earthed via a heavier core copper cable in the utilities box? Have we now created a fire / shock hazard? 

Many Thanks

Jetta

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Old telephone junction box

Go to solution

Not sure why you are posting on a BT Retail Customer Forum? Sounds like you need a qualified electrician instead, as you may have removed a protective earth.

Phone connections would not produce a loud crack, as the voltage is very low.

Internal phone wiring is the responsibility of the home owner.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

You may have cut an electrical mains cable. Do you still have a dial tone on your phone? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes we still have phone & internet, and, no further noises so not sure what that was all about. It was probably a very old earthing cable that’s not up to modern spec anyway. 

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Jetset70 and welcome to our community.

If you line and broadband are still working it's possible you've damaged an electrical cable. As @Keith_Beddoe has mentioned it might be a good idea to get an electrician out just to be sure.

Cheers

David