cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Norton 360 VPN slows down Ultrafast 150mb

Jeez Chris what a spammer you are.

I was agreeing with another users post about Norton 360 and it's VPN addon.

I'm not with BT I'm not even in the UK.

My broadband plan where I am is rated at 320mbs download 100mbs upload, I admit that is the best possible speed that I could get with this plan and that it is affected by many things when data travels from any point on the net to another but when you run a speedtest on the internet powered by ookla which picks a relatively close major city to you and you can see something close to 98% speed drop with the VPN turned on then it is the VPN causing the problem.

I own all the software on my computer and I pay for the full Norton LifeLock suite so that includes the VPN option. I like to use the VPN not because I want to do illegal things but because I don't want anyone seeing my searches and targeting me with spam adverts.

I also use add blockers and spam filters together with Norton all to help me have a fast and enjoyable internet experience.

So please keep your archaic comments regarding illegal activity and private detectives and FBI to yourself and you conspiracy web site friends.

Message 12 of 16

Message 13 of 16

I have had a day to think about it, and reaslise the situation, you are probably innocent and don't recognise the seriousness, probably you are a young lad, and your peers are also using them.

Well, remember, if you go to a sales department in an armament factory during the war, they will equally give you a good shopping list, as it is their product. Or a factory that buiulds tanks, or dangerous chemicals. The fact is young kids today on the internet have no idea of the terms they are using.

A private network was used by agents, FBI agents etc, during top secret military exercises. The arpanet was built upon it in the late 60's. BE careful what you click on, what you read, what your friends are doing, it is not a competition.

If a police officer involved with cybernet investigations required a particuilar product, HE would have to go to the best there is, i.e. Norton, and Norton TOO, caters for these requirements, IF IT BE NECESSARY, and they have prices for those servics, e.g. a knight goes in for new shining armour, if IT BE NECESSARY, instead of a suit, if this be the case, the special medieval tailor can proivide armour shields etc, but this is very rare circumstances.

A Virtual proivate network is one of those special occasioins. Normal people OBEY the law, so it doesn';t matter WHAT sites they go on, as they are law abiding sites, and it doesn't matter if the telephone company knows the sites. BT is not a service provider, as people keep saying, t hey ARE the telephone company, real copper or fibre optic wires, therefore REALLY providing the electronic signals down the wires. A service provider RENTS from a telephone company, i.e. BT, in our country. I am not a telephone engineer but I know enough to know that these rented lines can have several service providers all on different tarrifs, using various frequency bandwidths, therefore if you are using a priovate network you are interfering with te functionality of other service providers, not to mention interfering with other people's security.

When I first saw the comments about norton, and kept seeing vpn at first I didn't recognise what it stood for, and so I couldn't understand why you couldn't get it working and had a drop in speed. Now I know why. I first went on internet in computer job in 93 it had about 20 sites, was text only, amd I did first electronic mail and text messages at uni in 89 on orange text orion 2's. And I can tell you,nothing was ever a private network, only top secret people had that kind of thing. And I have used internet in all those years since then. Only RECENTLY have I been hearing about kids using these vpn things, usually for torrent downloading of copyright films, or music. The police are cracking down on it.It is not fair on music and film industry, would you like your films and music copied for FREE? after all your work?

Everyone else is happy with bt's product, I am really grateful, especially with it being Norton, I feel safe.And it is totally free. I don't know what all the people are complaining about,m I have been reading all the messages, Norton 360 what?,what the heck are you on about? we're not into radar jamming, we're normal folk.

Message 14 of 16

I have never been on this bt comment chat ting before, but I noticed the comments on vpn's and it is a  serious matter, and so I logged on. It is my duty as BSc computer science grad to explain these matters.

In 91 I was the sixth person to work on the global positioning satellite navigation system using nasa satellites, electronic circuit, with gigahertz frequencies etc, and I used to make transmission software for doctors and hospitals in early 90's using the old 56k baud data lines, adand I can tell you I know what I am talking about.

This is why bt asnt incorporated it in the package, and WHY norton hasn't incorporated it.you dont need a vpn for spam, you only need an ordinary system.

Soon bt will be going to use I think the 56k data lines, in couple of years, i.e. you'll need one of those phone ports on the pc to convert your voice landline, i.e still on copper. BT have  a lot of complex things to think about, they don't want people messing about with private frequencies and encrypted data, their is enough traffic as it is.

Message 15 of 16

Similarly television companies like BBC, ITV i.e. live broadcasts need paying for with a license, young kids are sat in their parents attic's watching live tv while their parents, like me, are having to deal with letters. Vans go out and scan houses, bt will have your address, if you are using a vpn. Also amazon Prime, and various other sites, peoplhe are using vpn's so they can't be tracked, so they can  watch live broadcasts for free. This is illegal.

Message 16 of 16

Hi Everyone,

The BT Community Forums are intended for the discussion of issues related to BT products and services. I'm locking this thread as it is off-topic and not related to products or services provided by BT. 

Thanks

Neil