cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Rotary dial

Go to solution

Hi there,

Out of interest did BT ever make rotary dial phones? 

many thanks,

Oliver

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Rotary dial

Go to solution

Hi there oliver,

The company 'BT' or 'British Telecom' did not make rotary phones, as these were being phased out as part of the privatization of the telecoms branch of the post office, though BT still refurbished them up until the 90s

GPO or Post office Telecommunications did, including many models such as the 746, 706 and trimphone, etc.

Many Thanks

Ryan

Also, this should have ideally been posted in the BT Landline and Digital voice section. Thanks

Regards
Ryan

If this reply was helpful, please leave a like, or if I answered your question, please click 'mark as answer. Many thanks
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
No I don’t believe this is true I have seen many phones listed with the by markings stamped on them I do understand the GPO made them, but find it very unlikely that BT made no rotary dial phones.

Thanks for your reply though!
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Yes, the markings you have seen have probably been from when BT refurbished them.

Also, why ask a question, if you believe you already know the answer.

Many Thanks

Ryan

Regards
Ryan

If this reply was helpful, please leave a like, or if I answered your question, please click 'mark as answer. Many thanks
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi there,

No need to get shirty just am intrigued, there is a listing of a BT brand rotary dial phone on Ebay. (link removed by Moderator)

As you can see it has the BT sticker and of course this could have been added your right but the phone was made in 1981 and the GPO was rebranded to BT in 1980-1981

“The British Telecom brand was introduced in 1980. On 1 October 1980, this became the official name of Post Office Telecommunications, which became a state-owned corporation independent of the Post Office under the provisions of the British Telecommunications Act 1981.”

And as I say I find it highly unlikely that they would have made no Rotary dial phones under the trading name British Telecom.

Other listings are available.

Many thanks,

Oliver

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi there,

Obviously, I have given you my answer. But it has become clear you are unwilling to listen.

In the future, if you believe you know the answer to something, don't ask a question just to start an argument.

I wish you all the best

Ryan

Regards
Ryan

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi there,

I took your reply in and acknowledged it, but no offence your answer is hardly the be all and end all. 

What I am basically saying is I’d like to here from a few other sources as I am not sure you know fully and as you were saying neither do I :).

Have a nice day sir,

Oliver

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi,

Please can we keep it friendly? We want people to feel comfortable about posting their questions and answers on the forums.

Thanks

Neil