cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 251 of 378

Re: New features

@expectingtofly  - I totally agree with you. 

All IP content delivered via BT is stunning. This is because it is a stream and not really relying on 'capacity' as is the case with freeview (DVB-T/T2), Cable (Virgin Media DVB-C) and to some extent Satellite (freesat/sky DVB-S/S2). 

All the now channels seem very sharp and the detail is there. 

I will say the box does a good job at handling the picture. - I had to move it from HDMI port 1 to Port 4 to get it to show up 10bit mode (Dolby Vision/HDR). Heh even as an IT person, always RTFM! 

I know this is new and will take some time to populate and fix. Not like BT haven't done IP before. I think what we have now is two thirds of the freeview lineup in IP mode with the majority now in HD (in my opinion what it should be). 

I think slowly we will start to see more via IP to build the 'gap' and make it the full lineup. As always seems Channel4 playing hardball with none of their channels in HD except Channel4 itself. Yet everyone else has jumped aboard. I guess their slogan of 'alltogether different' certainly fits! 

Hats off to BT though and @DarrenDev for actively being helpful. Nice to see some active engagement with the users and to test things to put it right. 

Message 252 of 378

Yes, its interesting that the picture quality is so good.   The Now sky sports channels on the IP multicast use the maximum HD resolution option of  1920 x 1080.  Whereas the free to air IP multicast HD streams are 1440 x 1080.  However when BBC 2 and SKY Sports were both broadcasting the same event "The Hundred Cricket" the other night, I flicked between them to see if I could detect the lower resolution on BBC 2.  I could not, they looked exactly the same, even blown up on my 65inch TV.

I think that's a really good achievement, especially as the bitrate on IP multicast of Sky sports is ~12 mb compared to ~8mb on BBC 2 HD IP multicast.  The secret must be in the encoding.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 253 of 378

Most informative thread. Thankyou

If I switched to internet mode. Would it retain my "scheduled" recordings in the planner?

Thankyou

Chris 

0 Ratings
Message 254 of 378

@Anonymouswrote:

Most informative thread. Thankyou

If I switched to internet mode. Would it retain my "scheduled" recordings in the planner?

Yes, it did for me.  You need to do  a "Maintenance Mode Option 2" reset, rather than a standard factory reset.  Instructions here :  https://support.youview.com/youview-box/channels/switching-between-aerial-and-internet-mode/

0 Ratings
Message 255 of 378

OK, so the good news is that the 2 concurrent IP recordings limitation is just a temporary thing - left over from IP channels in aerial mode, where it was considered good enough. With IP mode, it's more important that we increase this number, but it needs work behind the scenes to offer different levels of capability based on broadband speed qualification - i.e. a configured limit based on the stable speed of the line, the same as is used to confirm availability of UHD. This work is already underway, but I can't offer any indication of timescales.
Message 256 of 378

@Anonymous Can confirm they will still remain if you decide to switch back to Freeview mode too.

Message 257 of 378

As I thought. Cheers for confirming the recording limit. 

0 Ratings
Message 258 of 378

I appreciate all the hard work with the IP, like most on this thread I was looking forward to it.

Do we have some sort of timescale for additional channels e.g. those on Freeview through an areial but not through IP yet such as the Great TV Channels, UKTV channels, and Thats Gold?

Personally I am not fused about the shopping channels. Do not need more temptation to spend my money 😀

Message 259 of 378

@expectingtofly  @biohazardx9  Even the SD picture quality is great. I think the SDN multiplex uses a lower resolution and bandwidth and the difference is astounding. Full marks on PQ.

Message 260 of 378

I'm still seeing the issue with the IP Freeview channels occasionally not wanting to load. I either get a black screen, or if I have used channel up/down, it fits back to the channel I was last on. Very odd!

Is anyone else getting this glitch?

0 Ratings