cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Cannot meet their SLA's

BT could not meet their guaranteed speed of 32mbps, admitted they could not and told me I could leave my contract without penalty. There is more to this however my question is as follows:

There are several ways to test your broadband speed including via many apps connecting to your hub and speedtest that provide you with a history. Why doesn't the BT app provide a history..or does it and I've missed that. Just a bit cynical.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Cannot meet their SLA's

It’s not clear ( to me ) what exactly the problem is , if your speed isn’t meeting the minimum you were guaranteed and BT accept this and after Openreach involvement, are unable to achieve the speed ,  you are offered  a penalty free release from your minimum term ( the exact way the  speed guarantee process is designed to be applied ) what’s wrong with that  ? …..even if there was some historical record of your daily , weekly , monthly average speed ( something no other ISP provides on OR network , but they all provide a minimum speed guarantee ) how would that help you ?
If you had ( for arguments sake ) being getting speed lower than the guaranteed speed for 6 months before you reported it , and you could point to that via some record of your sync speeds , in what way would you benefit ? , it’s not like you would get some pro rata refund for those months , and if this reduced speed ( compared to the MSG ) went unnoticed for 6 months it’s hardly a potent argument for compensation, once you highlight the problem, it’s then OR are tasked to resolve any network issues causing the reduction, if there is no network fault as such,  and it’s simply that the minimum speed was always , or became unachievable , then you can leave,  ….if you do leave and use a different ISP but on the same Openreach network, the minimum speed they offer you  will be aligned to the actual speed you receive ( the new reality ) , so ultimately you get the same speed as you do now with BT , and the new ISP  MSG  will be lower than the one you had with BT , so no prospect of using the same ‘escape’ clause .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for your response. As I said there is more to this argument. BT admitted to not meeting there SLA's but the operator did not update the notes and therefore a lengthy argument pursued to ensure I was not bound contractually to the agreed term. I do not want to leave BT as I cannot get FTTP and FTTC is my only option so an alternative is probably going to achieve the same speed. All cabling from cab to dp and from dp to LJU has been replaced including several BT hubs. I am not a-technical so I have disconnected all equipment and tested using a lap top and my speed average is 22mbps and BT's SLA's are a minimum of 32Mbps. BT have now provided a 4g hub as I also have problems with outages every now and then. My question was if you remember why does the app. not show historical speed measurements like other apps as if they do not want you to log their poor performance so you can provide a record and you are beholden to their tech stating "it was performing within our SLA's when we tested it". 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

The guaranteed speed is the DSL sync speed as measured at the BT hub. Not the download speed as reported by any speed test.

If you have a Smart Hub 2, the sync speed can be seen in Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Aha, thanks for that. best

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Right got the event log clicked on WAN and got this result:

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 14.27.07.png

I take it that the speed to my hub is 40mbps and thereafter and decrease is down to my network and not BT? thx

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

that is from the technical log but you need to go one step further and select information which will give a clearer picture of your connection stats - speed, noise margin, connection time etc.  as previously said there is no SLA on download speed just speed to your router.

can you post information stats please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 11

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 16.05.45.pngScreenshot 2024-02-23 at 16.05.58.pnghope this is correct?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

It looks as though your line is either banded by DLM due to instability or has been mis-provisioned as a 40/10 line.

Either way, any increase in speed will be marginal as your maximum rate possible is only 44M

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Your connection is only 4 days is that due to manual reset or is your hub dropping connection ?  If so is it often?

You max attainable speed on your line is 44mb and you are currently connected at 40mb. I think this could be restricted as noise margin at 7.6db is higher than normal 6db normally due to DLM taking action on an unstable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings