cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 122

Re: Scams: Information about scams currently circulating

Another one received today. Looks like a standard BT email.

Text states: "Your password has now changed Hello, You changed your BT plan on 15/06/2021 00:17:15. You will be charged an additional £89 per month on top of your current bill."

Have marked it as spam and reported it to phishing@

0 Ratings
Message 52 of 122

Hi

Just got a call  from  lady saying she was calling on behalf of British Telecom on  number:  01568****** on my Landline number.

She was saying  that I been called to offer on my call package reduce local & national rate calls  and unlimited mobile phone calls.  She said this was one time offer and needed to me first to confirm who I was by giving me my date of Birth.

I did not give her my date of Birth and immediately hang up.  Sounds like a scam to be to get hold my details, Do British Telecom even exist anymore thought now were know as BT now. 

99% of Commutation from BT is done via email. 

0 Ratings
Message 53 of 122

Hi @Mjveris welcome to the community and thanks for posting, that number doesn't belong to BT so I'd be confident it was a scam call and you did the correct thing by hanging up.

The number was most likely spoofed as it is a working number belonging to a Sky customer. That's why I edited it out as I don't think they'd be happy with it being published on a public forum.

To help us fight the fraudsters you can report the call on this link Report a scam call 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 122

Hi Neil

Thanks was a relpy I have reported it as a scam call via he link.

I didn't know numbers could be spooled new on me and is warning to never trust number on my caller display as 100% true.

Thanks

Matthew

0 Ratings
Message 55 of 122

@Mjveris Thanks for reporting it on the link, they're very likely calling from a VOIP internet line and can make it look like they're calling from any number they want. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 122

There's a very strange email appearing from a major Supermarket website - a well used Supermarket - but they are trying to sell seafood (fish)...as opposed to phish.
This particular Supermarket is under an overseas takeover bid a the moment.....they ask you to unsubscribe from their membership. If you haven't used them for 26 years or so, then there is no need. Do not respond!!!

0 Ratings
Message 57 of 122

Had a very plausible one this morning was not sure until he gave me the wrong information.

He said he was from BT and they were doing work in the area which could cause fluctuating broadband speeds, mine has been recently but I think I have WiFi problems as when I have checked from the router and it is steady and fast there.

As I have recently got a new router and a couple of Black disks I did not hang up immediately.

He asked me to do various speed tests all quite plausible and genuine, however then asked if my IP showed public or private. I would expect it to be public with individual devices to be private. He said that with a public IP people could connect to my broadband if he did not change it to private.

He then asked me to download a programme, at this point I refused and asked him to prove he was from BT, he said he could prove it by me phoning a number he gave me  02071933606 and gave me his claimed name and BT ID.

I said OK I will phone later, he then said have you got a mobile so you could phone now. At this point I put the phone down. He has not phoned back.

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 122

1523C41B-B34B-4513-9F14-B907FF33F9AA.jpeg

Received this message and not sure if it’s a scam or real.

0 Ratings
Message 59 of 122

@Shadowpuppet55wrote

Received this message and not sure if it’s a scam or real.

It couldn't really be more obvious! 

Message 60 of 122

BEWARE BT PASSCODE BEING USED BY SCAMMERS - HOW BT COULD CHANGE THEIR EMAIL TO PREVENT SCAMMERS

I received a call on Saturday purporting to be from BT OPEN REACH saying there is a problem with my hub being used by others

My hub has only been in use for 4 weeks and I was told the hub would be monitored when I placed my order, so at this point I was not alarmed

The lady said she had sent me a passcode and asked for this number. 

I put my mouse over email and it did not come up with any other names within it other than BT “btcomms@info.bt.com”, in fact it is the same email address that comes to me saying my bill is ready. 

The heading which dominates the email  is in purple, calibri, font 28 which is LARGE 

BT
Your passcode is 22481897

It was a genuine BT passcode, which made the call credible, but I subsequently discovered this passcode had been created by going to BT login, putting in my email and then forgot password

The scammers call you at the same time the pass code is created, then say I have just sent a pass code, which they ask for. 

Then they ask what type of computer you have and ask you to put in a command that brings up a black box and shows code

Meanwhile they have accessed your BT account and confirm to you your account number, mobile, address and the last 4 digits of your bank account and sort code to reconfirm they are BT to gain your trust

They then give you another instruction and ask if a 9 digit code has been created

At this point I said no code had been created and the girl called over a man. 

I hung up and spoke to BT who said to change my password and this is how I found out how they created the initial passcode from BT

The scammer tried calling my Landline and mobile 6 times in total after the call was ended

In order to prevent other people falling foul of these scammers could BT change the wording from "your passcode.........." to YOUR PASS CODE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD IS..... "

the scammers will not be able to use BT in their scams and BT will be protecting their customers by just adding a few words. 

I appreciate further down the email it says if you did not ask for this, but when the email is received the main headline is the passcode, as you can see from above, scrolling down to read the small print was not on my mind

It would be beneficial to have the reason for the generated passcode to deter scammers from using BT. 

I have reported this to Action Fraud, BT Tech who also take fraud enquiries, but am hoping by posting this someone in BT will action this suggestion for added security by adding the reason the passcode has been generated