cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

4k Box Black screen problems - Suddenly won't work at all & box won't respond to remote

Evening all. 

Our 4k recordable TV box is playing up. Despite it working fine yesterday today all we are getting is a black screen when the box tries to load up. When we turn it off and on again it tries to load up, goes through youview and eventually just settles on a black screen. The box is unresponsive via the buttons on the top of the box or even the remote, despite the blue light being on. It won't go on standby unless it times itself out. 

We have multi room and the non recoding box is working fine. As is the home internet and wifi. 

• I have tried changing the HMDI cable and the port. 
  • Tried turning off the extender (its currently lit up blue for data and ethernet)
  • I have turned the TV, box and internet all off at the same time and left it before restarting. I've also tried different variations (i.e. box off, TV on) - with no change tot he above. 
  • I have tried a hard reset by pressing the down button for 5 seconds when the box is on standby but this doesn't work as the box just turns on and the issue above happens
  • The TV works fine via a DVD player plugged in via same & different HDMI ports & using the cables.  

Short of throwing the thing through the window does anyone have any ideas what to do? I'm totally perplexed as to what has changed between today and yesterday. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: 4k Box Black screen problems - Suddenly won't work at all & box won't respond to remote

Hi @RichardNapoli1 

Might be worth seeing if you can get the box into maintenance mode

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/tv-boxes/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-tv-box-

From your message I think you have tried it but you mention doing so from standby mode but the instructions for the 4K recordable box  are

1. Switch the box off and then back on again. A red light should appear on the front panel
  2. Press and hold the down arrow button on top of your box for five seconds until you see ‘Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N’ at the bottom of the screen. When you see this, press the standby/power button
  3. After a few seconds you’ll see the ‘Maintenance Mode’ menu. Choose and select Factory reset, keep recordings using the arrow buttons. This option will allow you to keep your recordings, scheduled recordings, and any personal settings you've made to favourites and playlist.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: 4k Box Black screen problems - Suddenly won't work at all & box won't respond to remote

Hi. @zulu17 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have tried a hard reset and get the box into maintenance mode by pressing the down button for 5 seconds when the box is on standby but this doesn't work as the box just turns on and the issue just starts again. 

When you say 'the screen' I assume you mean the TV? There isn't a screen on the box that I'm missing is there!!?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

the maintenance mode is not entered from standby mode  hence I gave the link and copied the instructions for your box.   Yes screen is the TV screen.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@zulu17 

Just to confirm that I did follow the below process in the link. The moment I progress to stage 2 by pressing down the light on the front panel goes from red to blue and we proceed to have the problem I refer to in my original post. 

Its downright weird!

"

1. Switch the box off and then back on again. A red light should appear on the front panel
  2. Press and hold the down arrow button on top of your box for five seconds until you see ‘Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N’ at the bottom of the screen. When you see this, press the standby/power button
  3. After a few seconds you’ll see the ‘Maintenance Mode’ menu. Choose and select Factory reset, keep recordings using the arrow buttons. This option will allow you to keep your recordings, scheduled recordings, and any personal settings you've made to favourites and playlists"
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @RichardNapoli1 and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're having problems with the 4k STB. It sounds like it could well be faulty but I'll be happy to run a few checks to confirm that. I'll need a few details so I'll drop you a private message now so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings