cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT FTTP and digital voice

I’m upgrading to FTTP 900 and using my own router. I know the smart hub 2 has a telephone port in the back of it. Will the phone go into the ONT or the BT hub? If it’s the hub that could be a bit of an issue…

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT FTTP and digital voice

@aaronf wrote:

I’m upgrading to FTTP 900 and using my own router. I know the smart hub 2 has a telephone port in the back of it. Will the phone go into the ONT or the BT hub? If it’s the hub that could be a bit of an issue…

The BT Hub only, you cannot use your own router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Yeah buts that if I use the smart hub. I don’t want to use the smart hub I want to use my own router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

The port on the ONT was for a Openreach product called Fibre voice Access which is no longer being sold and migrated off.

BT's Digital Voice service requires the use of the BT Smart Hub 2. You could double NAT but may cause some issues with port forwarding.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@aaronf wrote:

Yeah buts that if I use the smart hub. I don’t want to use the smart hub I want to use my own router.

Then you cannot use BT Digital Voice, you would have to use a third party VOIP provider, there is no other option. This has already been discussed many times.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Have BT not got a softphone or do they offer a call forwarding feature where I could just divert all calls to a mobile phone?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@aaronf wrote:
Have BT not got a softphone or do they offer a call forwarding feature where I could just divert all calls to a mobile phone?

Yes, you can setup call forwarding, but make sure you have a calls package to cover the cost of the forwarded calls, otherwise it could get very expensive.

There is no softphone. BT use their own very secure system from the network to the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings