cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Hub 2 - Is this appropriate for my home?

Hi folks

i have just received my BT Hub 2 and when trying to set up I get a constant purple flashing light.

I have copper wire broadband as live in rural setting and a fair distance from the BT box.  My telephone socket has two ports, one for a telephone line and the other for fibre.

The set up instructions show the cable plugging into broadband connection on router and then straight into the telephone socket.

This is where I have a problem as the broadband connection only takes an Ethernet shaped connection and the telephone line takes the connection same as on the end of a filter.

ive tried putting the line from the router broadband connection into the ADSL port of filter and then putting this into the telephone line but that doesn’t work.  There is no other was of connecting this.

ive read elsewhere that I may have the wrong BT Hub and need one with an ADSL port at the back.

any help would be great thanks, Gordon

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Hub 2 - Is this appropriate for my home?

The SH2 comes in two varients, one with an RJ11 socket on the back for connection to the master socket or ADSL filter and one without. It sounds like yours doesn't have one in which case they've sent you the wrong one. See below

SH2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

I think you will find that both versions have an RJ11 socket at the back, which you connect the RJ 11 lead from the broadband output of your master socket, to that RJ11 socket on the back.

The lead looks like this Capture.JPG

Here are the two versions.

smart hub 2 vdsl.jpg

And

smart hub 2.jpg

Which one do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Thank you

I’ve been on the phone to BT who are saying this is not the case and say the set up should work. I’m explaining I’ve got a copper wired connection but they won’t budge.

very frustrating indeed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

@GordyC wrote:

Thank you

I’ve been on the phone to BT who are saying this is not the case and say the set up should work. I’m explaining I’ve got a copper wired connection but they won’t budge.

very frustrating indeed.

Provided you connect it up using the RJ11 lead, it should work. You do not need the filter, and must not use it if you already have two connections on your master socket.

If it does not, then have you made sure that you have dial tone on your phone? If not, then your broadband will never work, as there is a disconnection somewhere.

I find it strange that they have sent a smart hub 2, an its normally a home hub 4 which is sent for an ADSL connection.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@GordyC 

Are you sure you have an ADSL connection, as that comes from the exchange not the cabinet?

What broadband package did you order?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I think you will find that both versions have an RJ11 socket at the back, 

Apparently not

BT HUB Connection.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@GordyC 

What version do you have, take a look at the back?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Thanks everyone for your help/advice.

A cube engineer is coming out on Tuesday.  The BT operator thinks I may have an old BT socket which may be causing the issue.

I done have fibre to my house, the broadband is delivered via copper cable telephone line.

The BT box I have has a broadband port and a telephone port.

The broadband port fits an Ethernet cable, not the smaller RJ11

The telephone port fits the connector from a standard filter, not RJ11

The only way I can connect the RJ11 to my wall socket is using a filter (the RJ11 plugs into the Plug marked ADSL on the filter) which then only plus into the telephone port on my BT main socket.

This leaves the box flashing purple showing not connected to internet.

I’ll update the forum on Tuesday after the engineer has visited.

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.

Message 10 of 13

Yeah, my hub has the smaller RJ11 connection where you have the blue circle.

0 Ratings