cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: BT Speed vs competitors

Go to solution

sorry the stats looking for is by going to hub manager then advanced settings then technical log information  what you posted are basic connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution

@imjolly  is this it?

309E0800-08B7-4CDE-A2EB-E33E2637ACC2.jpeg

These are the speeds I’m getting, therefore is this the max regardless of provider? Therefore why does BT wholesale say much higher too? Dear me I’m confused. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

It does seem your connection is below what is expected , how is your router connected ?, if your router is plugged into ( for example ) an extension lead that in turn is plugged into the master socket, that could ( if poor quality or incorrectly wired ) explain the relatively poor performance, to eliminate any potential ‘internal’ issues it’s advisable to connect the router ( even if only temporarily ) into the master socket test port , using ( if possible ) a new filter…if the router stats don’t change your internal setup may be OK, but there still could be an issue externally  ( even if the quiet line test is OK ) , you may need to report your poor speed as a fault , but only after checking the internal parts yourself , as your ISP and Openreach are not responsible for those things….this may go some way to explaining the difference in what the ISP are predicting, S*y will use the wholesale figure , BT have your real life speed data, but obviously if there is a fault the real life speed  may be worse than the predicted speed, if you changed you would still get the same speed, it’s just S*y would have to get the underperforming line upto scratch , same as BT will if you report it to them.

Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

@iniltous  my router is plugged directly into the box, no extensions are used. It’s actually a fairly new router too.

When checking as a new customer in BT website it says fibre 1 is estimated between 40-50mb with a guarantee of 36mb. This is closer to other companies.

From what you’ve seen what speeds should I be able to get in your opinion? and how do I go about fixing this?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

Even if you only have one socket it’s still worth removing the cover to expose the test port and connect the router there, with a new filter if possible…if things don’t improve, call your ISP and  report the slow speed ….even the predicted impacted speed is 44Mb ( and goes up-to 68Mb on a clean line ) ,have in mind though this is a range , even your line in perfect condition may not get anywhere near 68Mb )  your connection at around 32Mb  is below the lower estimate, your ISP should get Openreach to investigate why your speed is ‘slow’.

Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

Thank you @iniltous  ill give that a try.

It doesn’t really explain BT though when I call them they say the max my line can support is about 32?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

Bear in mind you are dealing with BT retail. The  stats you get from BT Wholesale may be interpreted/marketed differently by the various ISP's eg BT Retail, Sky etc. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

the adslchecker is provided by openreach and BT like other ISPs use that information to give you an estimated speed when you take out a contract.  however the checker cannot account for a customer having a poor line  or even aluminium cabling instead of expected copper both of which would result in connection speed less than expected

as @iniltous posted try using the test socket with a filter and post the hub stats again to see if any improvement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

BT can see your current line connection , they probably ( erring on the side of caution ) base their assumptions on that data ( even if it’s at odds with the wholesale prediction and ignoring that the line may be faulty ) , other providers don’t have any live data ( they are not providing the service ) so all they can go on is the wholesale information.
I’m not suggesting this as a course of action, but if your current provider said minimum is 31, you get 33 so nothing to check, and you signed up with someone else , who guaranteed 43, and unsurprisingly when you connect you get 33 ( same as now ) , the new provider would get onto Openreach and say 31 is below what OR say is the minimum , so OR visit and try to improve things…if the wholesale estimate is wrong and 33 is genuinely all your line can deliver the new provider would have to let you leave penalty free…if you report low speed to BT ( after eliminating any internal issues by using the test port and a different filter ) they should at least investigate why your speed is below the wholesale estimate , you are coming to the end of a minimum term , so you have the option to move if your current ISP won’t accept that there is potentially an issue, but if you resign accepting 25Mb as a minimum then obviously getting the line looked at when it’s achieving 31 is more difficult.

Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

@iniltous  @imjolly  I’ve ran the test again and plugged into the socket as explained. Here are the results. Any idea what to do next? 

59429327-59DE-4784-8B44-490F29AFBEDB.jpeg

BT are being less than helpful when I call and explain that as a new customer it shows far higher than I actually get and just say it is what it is. 

0 Ratings