cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

BT Speed vs competitors

Go to solution

I’m not sure this is the right place for this or if it’s even allowed so feel free to move/remove if I’ve done wrong.

Anyway I’m at a crossroads and having a dilemma which I hope this group can help with.

My BT contract is due for renewal and as you know this means my price goes up quite a bit. Now I currently get a speed of 35-36mb and have a stay fast guarantee of 31mb.

When looking to re contract the best I’m being offered is 27-29mb and a stay fast guarantee of just 25mb as this is apparently the best that can be done.

As you can imagine I’m disappointed by this and I’ve been researching competitors and found Sky can offer me 44-50mb with a guarantee of 39mb.

I’ve had them do a full line check in order to confirm these speeds which they have done.

So here I am at the crossroads, so I stick with BT with inferior speeds or switch? I just don’t understand how Sky can offer far better speeds yet use the same Openreach infrastructure FTTC.

Your help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Speed vs competitors

Go to solution

@AyrshireStuart 

You cannot discuss other providers here, but bear in mind that your line connection will not change whichever Openreach provider you use, so you are not going be any better off by moving.

Have you contacted BT on 0800 800 030, and see what they can offer?

Use the BT Broadband Availability checker to see what your line will actually support.

Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Ah I See, my apologies I’m new on here so not fully familiar with the rules.

I have spoken to BT about this and they’re adamant that the speed guarantee is lower than my current guarantee.

I just don’t understand how others are guaranteeing so much higher.

They mentioned it may be something to do with the traffic in the cabinet? This seems to be sensible to me as I know of a neighbour who is with a much smaller provider and is getting speeds of 50mb compared to my current 34ish.

Does this seem right?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

post hub stats from hub manager then advanced setting then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

As already said, your ‘line’ and the equipment that delivers broadband will be the same regardless of staying with BT or moving to someone else, so the speed you get will remain the same if you move or if you stay, the figures you are looking at are ( IMHO ) not very informative, your predicated speed can be gauged by the BTw checker , compare that to your current router statistics which will show what your connection rate is and the maximum attainable rate,

The figures you quote are not some sort of cap, if your line can sync at ( for example ) 36Mb and the minimum speed guarantee is 25Mb , they don’t hold back your speed to that…it’s just a speed at which should you fall below it, the ISP has to get you back to that minimum or allow you to leave penalty free, the supposed ‘check’ Sk*  performed is nothing more than BS, how can they check anything apart from the wholesale data.

Connection speed is going to be pretty much the same regardless of the provider , providing the same band of service is purchased , 40,55 or 80Mb , it’s the line length and quality ( which is the same regardless of provider ) that dictates how close to those figures you get , throughput is different as that could vary depending on how much bandwidth the individual ISP has available, a general rule of thumb though , is if a provider is ‘cheap’ , one way to be ‘cheap’ is to skimp on the backhaul bandwidth.

If your individual line should perform better, you may have a fault or your home setup may not be optimised, posting your router stats and info from the checker may help in that regard.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

A04BCB94-98A1-4D56-885B-A3C088048F09.jpeg

Hi @imjolly  and @iniltous thank you both for this.

Im not the most technical but when I enter my phone number in here it says what I’ve put in the picture. I’m not getting anywhere near 60mb+ am I reading this right? In fact I don’t even get the low speeds it says….but I may be in the wrong bit so your help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

can you post rest of the result apart from the notes below results

what about hub stats

can you check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

E9FF35F1-3BA5-4FA0-8ECA-0107F0D5B0FE.jpeg

Hi @imjolly I did the quiet line test and it was quiet.

Trying to attach other pics but it’s above max allowed, let me try a new reply.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

EA146C61-9399-4525-813B-57109A593395.jpeg

7B99ACF2-4E09-40AE-BC85-CA2B419E266E.jpeg

7E6A4A09-FA3E-405E-B056-8676BA51480B.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

@iniltous @imjolly  I think that’s all info attached now.

You asked what it showed for BT wholesale as a new customer and interestingly their estimate is the same as the other provider and far higher than I get right now.

0 Ratings