cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 25

Re: BT Speed vs competitors

Go to solution

at present with your 31mb connection you are right on the stayfast figure and unlikely BT will help

it appears you have a poor line and moving ISP whatever they quote as expected range will be no better than you currently get as use openreach network

what noise margin is shown in stats as you have cut of some of the bottom stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 25

Go to solution

@imjolly  @iniltous  Here is the full page in 3 pictures.

As you say right now I’m dead on the guarantee at 31mb but to renew my contract as they want me to they’re lowering the guarantee to just 25mb meaning I’m even worse off whereas the other provider are offering me a guarantee of 39mb. It all just seems nonsense to me that BT won’t help and are effectively pushing me to the new provider.

C144CB33-8D84-4E5A-866D-2C4432753147.jpeg

93F4E684-FE2F-408E-8F8B-A52716E9D349.jpeg

43BB13E6-B2FF-4A63-B682-2249F2AB3B2D.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 25

Go to solution

Are you speaking to BT Sales or BT  Faults ?, the sales customer service reps are not going to be able to deviate from what’s been offered as far as minimum speed guarantees,  but I think it’s not really the point….if your line has an issue then it needs to be addressed, you have done as much self diagnosing as you can , if your line is OK, moving provider will not improve speed , Sky or anyone else will pretty much deliver what you have now if the line remains as it is, irrespective of what the speed guesstimates are ,  if however the line has a fault , and that fault is repaired, the actual speed you get may move to be closer to the wholesale checker predictions….the issue is ( IMHO ) , will you current provider agree to investigate on the basis the line may be faulty , which may include an Openreach visit, or stick with stating its above minimum, and won’t investigate,

If you switch , to a provider with a higher minimum guarantee, and when connected to the new provider the new minimum is not achieved, they should investigate including an OR visit , it could be the investigation proves that 32Mb is all the line will provide…you then could, if you wanted , move again , penalty free.

The minimum speed guarantees are a not really the issue, that is , is your line faulty and the fault is reducing the speed you get , or is the line as good as it can be and 32Mb is all any provider could deliver over it.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 25

Go to solution

Thank you @iniltous  im no tech expert so honestly don’t know. What I do know though is that some neighbours are getting far higher speeds than me which makes me think there’s an issue. I’ll try raising a fault but I’m not sure I’ll get anywhere with it but it’s worth a try.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 25

Go to solution

Raising a fault ( your provider accepting that there probably is an issue ) should prove things one way or another…if it’s a fault ( that’s my guess ) then the repair should improve speeds, if the line is investigated and found to be in good order, switching is still available ( providing you don’t renew ) but if the line is OK , other providers won’t get better speed than what you currently get, even if they guarantee better speed, but because they will have guaranteed it , you could move again, although it may be pointless .
My instinct is there is a fault , as the wholesale estimate is much better than your actual speed and the fact your neighbours, who presumably are a similar distance to the equipment cabinet , get better speed than you.