cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: BT WiFi

Go to solution

@StewartC  Can you tether the phone with a USB cable rather than use it as a hotspot?

Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. When at home it's my BT Hub that it links to by default though I've never tried enabling 'hotspot' function when connected to it. Once I'm home I'll try that. BTW my phone is also a Motorola, it gives me hope that I'm not the only one out there with this problem. 

Before I search are you aware a Motorola user group that could be asked about this?

SC

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

I could be mistaken, but I can't see how any device can be used as a hotspot when connecting to wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. That's a very plausible explanation. Showing my ignorance here; when at home I use my phone linked to my BT Hub to Chrome-cast to a smart TV without a problem so the phone is having to simultaneously tx/rx to two separate devices so how is this different. If you know I'd appreciate an explanation as to the difference in the two situations.

SC

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I could use a USB cable but to make it usable set up the USB cable would have to be quite lengthy, approx. 2m.

SC

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. You may well be right, I'd had thought that if the phone supported both 2.4 and 5GHz then it could support bidirectional tx/rx operation.

SC

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

@StewartC wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That's a very plausible explanation. Showing my ignorance here; when at home I use my phone linked to my BT Hub to Chrome-cast to a smart TV without a problem so the phone is having to simultaneously tx/rx to two separate devices so how is this different. If you know I'd appreciate an explanation as to the difference in the two situations.

SC

But you won't be using the phone as a hotspot.

Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

Chromecasting is completely different to tethering. If you have a Chromecast compatible TV or device all the app on your phone is doing is sending a secure URL to the Chromecast. It's not tethering

Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

@StewartC wrote:

when at home I use my phone linked to my BT Hub to Chrome-cast to a smart TV without a problem so the phone is having to simultaneously tx/rx to two separate devices so how is this different.

I don't think so. The phone is just a remote control which sets up a link from hub to Chromecast. Once the cast is up and running you can turn the phone off and chuck it out of the window without breaking the link (though you wouldn't be able to change channels and might need a new phone). Nor do you need a smart TV, just one with an HDMI socket.

EDIT. Sorry, I somehow missed the last couple of posts.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, very useful in identifying the difference between the phone's role in acting as a controller (Chrome cast) and creating a hotspot for tethering.

It's a pity that there doesn't seem to be a way of using the phone to communicate with BT Wifi and then to wirelessly communicate with a laptop where it's not practicable to locate it and work comfortably.

SC

0 Ratings