cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Broadband being throttled?

Hi,

I have recently had issues with streaming videos on a variety of devices and through different apps (ie BBC iPlayer via BT Box, on iPad/iPhone, and apps such as twitter, facebook etc). When streaming a video through say, Twitter, it will play for a few seconds then the wheel of death spins, it may eventually continue playing but more often I will have moved on. 

When using a VPN, videos play normally. Non video activity seems fine in.

Prior to the last few weeks, never had any issue with speeds and when I do a speed test, normally comes in at +60mb, as expected.

I have read that BT don't throttle back speeds, but does seem curious that through a VPN videos play OK. 

Anyone else experienced this or ways around it?

Steve 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband being throttled?

Hi @ses2310, welcome back, and thanks for your post.

We don't throttle your speed and it's possible that your speed would be faster on VPN. The VPN may send it along a different path and in that case, a VPN could increase your internet speed.

Have you experienced any issues with your broadband other than when streaming?

When you are trying to watch the iPlayer vis the BT TV box is it connected to the hub via Ethernet or is it a wireless connection?

cheers

John 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi John,

thanks, BT box connected by ethernet cable.

Broadband otherwise has been fine, just streaming.

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @ses2310, thanks for posting back.

I'm surprised that you are getting buffering on the Iplayer via ethernet as that could be an indication that you were having slow speed. Have you tried a Reset of your Hub and see if that improves things?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings