cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 331 of 406

Re: Can't update from McAfee to Norton

Go to solution

Actually I'm now afraid to get rid of McAfee because it's the only way I can log into stuff.  Haven't a clue what Norton is all about, tried to sort it but I haven't got a degree in gobbledygook.  Looks like tech language has now left me far behind.  I'm sure I'll get there eventually but it aint easy and I'm not the only one with the problem, more people turning up on the "BT Community" having the same trouble so I suspect it's going to get worse as more people migrate to Norton.

0 Ratings
Message 332 of 406

Go to solution
I'm just an ordinary computer user but what I've noticed is that if I get shut of stuff from McAfee I'm in the soup because Norton isn't an intuitive set up it's for those with degrees in computing, far beyond my competence. If I get shut of McAfee altogether I'll be totally goosed.
Message 333 of 406

Go to solution

Just get rid of both and use Windows Defender.

Message 334 of 406

Go to solution

Windows Defender is good but you still need some of the extras that Windows Defender dont have.

As I have said elsewhere Norton is not as good as McAfee and think BT have made a mistake changing from McAfee to Norton. If it was not for me getting Norton free with BT I would put McAfee back on my laptop.

Darren

Message 335 of 406

Go to solution

@ney 

I don't think this was BT's decision. I think McAfee decided they wanted to charge full price for every copy installed

Message 336 of 406

Go to solution

I've done all of that, and am logged on as the account holder, but still I get the "sever error" message.  No app is downloaded.

Im running  up to date windows 10.

Can anyone help, please?

0 Ratings
Message 337 of 406

Go to solution

Hi, @Oldie1 welcome back to the community and thanks for posting, I'm really sorry to see you're experiencing problems updating from McAfee to Norton.

If you keep getting a server error when signing into the BT Virus Protect app you’ll need to go to My BT > Your Security and click Switch to Norton first.

• Go to My BT > Your Security
  • Find the BT Virus Protect tile and click Switch to Norton (or if you are using BT Virus Protect for the first time, select Activate)
  • Now open the BT Virus Protect app you downloaded and log in using your My BT username and password.

If you're getting the following error during installation “Cannot connect to the Norton Server” please try the below steps.

This error may occur if there is a problem when you activate your Norton. To resolve this problem, run LiveUpdate.

• In the bottom right corner (where time & date is) find the Norton Icon (you may need to click the up arrow to see more)
  • Right-click on the Norton icon, and then click Run LiveUpdate
  • When Norton LiveUpdate is finished, click OK
  • Exit all programs, and restart the computer

Post back and let me know if you need any further help.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 338 of 406

Go to solution

Hi Neil,

I did that, up to "select Activate".  The "Activate" ttile changed to "Manage", but no file has been downloaded - probably because as I said in my original post, I simply get the "Server Error" page - from Norton, I think.

There is no Norton icon in the bottom RH corner - only McAfee!

Roland

0 Ratings
Message 339 of 406

Go to solution

Hi @Oldie1 I'm really sorry there was an issue this afternoon that caused the server error message you have seen. I've received confirmation it should be been fixed. Please can you try again and let me know if you experience any further problems?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 340 of 406

Go to solution

Hi again,

I.ve just tried again.  Same problem.  This is NOT fixed, so the confirmation that you received is not correct.  

This issue is not resolved.

Roland

0 Ratings