cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Dead Landline

I’ve tried calling 0800800151 several times and all that happens is I get sent a text message to check my phone line which says there’s no fault 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

@Vallantho wrote:

If I dial from my mobile I get a busy tone. You know the long beep beep beep one. I don’t know the technical terms sorry 

Then you have a short circuit on your line. You need to make sure the fault is not in your house, by plugging your phone directly into the test socket which is located behind the master socket.

testsocket2.jpg

If you do not get dial tone at the test socket, then you will need to request an engineer visit, as it must be an external fault.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Vallantho wrote:

If I dial from my mobile I get a busy tone. You know the long beep beep beep one. I don’t know the technical terms sorry 

Then you have a short circuit on your line. You need to make sure the fault is not in your house, by plugging your phone directly into the test socket which is located behind the master socket.

@Keith_Beddoe  It would normally indicate a short, but if the OP's broadband is working and the line tests ok, it sounds more like an exchange fault.

If you do not get dial tone at the test socket, then you will need to request an engineer visit, as it must be an external fault.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

@licquorice wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Vallantho wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe  It would normally indicate a short, but if the OP's broadband is working and the line tests ok, it sounds more like an exchange fault.

The home hub can go short circuit inside, but still allow broadband. Also a short circuit on the phone side of the microfilter (filtered faceplate) , will still allow broadband.

An extension connected to the filtered side, could be short circuit (very common).

Even the lifeline unit could be looping the line, especially if its on an extension and had developed a fault.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

Ok so I plugged the phone into the test socket and still do dial tone 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Still no dial tone from the test socket so does that mean we can rule out the hub as a problem?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

@Vallantho wrote:

Ok so I plugged the phone into the test socket and still do dial tone 

Then you will need to book an engineer visit, as you have proven the fault outside of your property, and this should be fixed for free.

Either ring again, or go online and report it again, but this time chose the option to book a visit from Openreach. You will have to say you have completed the home checks, before it progresses to the booking an engineer option.

As @licquorice  has said, it could be an exchange fault.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

Hi @Vallantho,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry you haven't been able to get your service repaired. If you send me your details, I'll be able to take a look at what is happening with the fault.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings